Chapter 34

Chapter 34 

Although I felt bad for Calypso, I was wary and hesitant to leve her with Leo.  I mean, she seemed really nice and sweet, but in this new world of possibility,  she could be just like Circe, and we wouldn’t know before it was too late. 

 I called everyone back up to the dining room. When they finally got up the stairs and I held the door open for them, they didn’t look very pleased. I held my hands out in defeat, showing I had done nothing wrong.  

Nico smirked and Leo just gave me a hug, but I stiffened.  Calypso was definitely watching me right now.  I didn’t want her to hate me because of Leo.  

He pulled back and looked at me intently.  “Are you okay?”  He asked wearily.  

I nodded.  “I’m fine.”  I squeaked.  

He smiled faintly, and his eyes fixed on something behind me.  Or someone, should I say.  Of course, you can guess who that was.  Leo nodded his head in the direction of the door.  He squeezed my arm reassuringly before Calypso followed him onto the stairs.  

God, I wish I could hear what they were saying.  Was Leo confessing his love to Calypso?  Or was he apologizing?  Or both? 

I know how Annabeth feels now.  Turns out I was a lot more protective than I thought I was.  We all sat there in silence and waited for the two to come back into the room.  

Annabeth was giving looks to Percy, who was doing everything he could to avoid her eyes.  I felt bad for him.  Wasn’t his fault he ended up on this island.  It was all part of Calypso’s curse.  

“What do you think this key is for?”  I asked, finally. 

Annabeth tore her eyes away from glaring at Percy and focused on me.  “Could be to anything. A box, a gate, a door.  We don’t know.  I guess we’ll just have to find what its’ purpose is.”  

Nico was reanimating little animal bones he just casually had in his pocket into a mouse.  It scampered around the table, until Nico snapped, turning the bones into a pile once more.  

“My guess is it’s something we need to do before this Erebos guy takes over the world.”  

“Actually, it unlocks a box you will find in Cairo.  I spoke with Hermes earlier, and he warned me of your arrival.”  Calypso had reentered the room with Leo. 

 Leo wouldn’t meet my eyes.  I didn’t think I was gving him a look, but Nico elbowed me and mouthed, Calm Down.  I tried to soften the look on my face, and it must’ve looked pretty weird. 

“So what, we just ship off to Cairo and find this box?  How are we supposed to find one little box in a massive city?  Is that even possible?”  I asked.  

Calypso shrugged. “He told me where to find it.  But he said not to tell anyone until I was off the island and in Cairo.  That way, I can assure that I’m getting out of here.”