Chapter 19

Chapter 19

I decided not to go to dinner that night.  I wanted to be all rested up, seeing I was leaving for a dangerous quest that could potentially kill me in the morning.  

I didn’t see what we were leaving on.  Percy told me he couldn’t travel by air because of the whole rivalry thing his father had with Zeus, and we couldn’t travel by water because that would cause everyone to be in danger, with the monsters lurking in the open seas. 

Nico was said to have suggested shadow travel, although I didn’t hear it.  Right now, I can’t even stand to be in the same room as him.   I also heard that Nico was going to try and teach me how to shadow travel, but look how that turned out.   

I looked at the top of my bunk, wondering how the hell we were going to get to Africa.  I had a backpack sitting on the floor next to me, ready to go when I woke up.  I always kept my dagger with me now, because I have recently learned that the world is a lot more dangerous than I previously thought. 

I was also happy that the people that were going on this thing were people I knew-even if only two of them would talk to me.  My thoughts were interrupted by the cabin door opening, Nico gaining entry.  

He took one glance at me, then kept walking as though I didn’t exist.  I rolled my eyes and looked back up at the ceiling.  

“You know, we could attempt to be friendly.”  I called, as I heard rustling of cloth, most likely in a drawer.  I heard footsteps coming near me.  In the process of shoving a black t-shirt in a bag, Nico looked at me and snorted.  “Yeah, okay.”  

And with that, he walked out.   I give up with him.  I grabbed my bag and went to grab some food, most likely bringing it back to my cabin.  I walked into the dining pavilion, most of the cabins turning to look at me.  I averted eye contact with almost everyone except for certain people, like Thalia, Jason, Percy, Annabeth, or Piper.  

They smiled at me as they ate.  Piper beckoned me over to the Aphrodite table.  I knew I wasn’t supposed to sit down at another cabins’ table, so I stood next to her as she talked.  

“Hey.  Are you ready for the quest?”  

I shrugged.  “I guess it’s as ready as I’ll ever be.  I mean, I don’t even know what I’m supposed to be looking for.”  

She smiled. “You’ll do fine.  Well, at least, try not to die or anything.”  

“Thanks.  That was really enlightening.”  

She winked.  “You are welcome.”  I rolled my eyes, walking away and grabbing my plate from my table.  As soon as the food appeared, I snatched it off of the dish and left.  

I could feel the eyes on me, but at this point I really didn’t care.I ran out to the beach, setting out my genuine Camp Half-Blood beach towel.  I tried to clear my mind, listen to the waves as the sea water lapped up onto the sand.  Closing my eyes, I slowly drifted off, listening to the seagulls overhead.