Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Nico still looked pretty confused, looking back and forth between the rest of the group and I.  

“About what?  You need your rest.  I guess my shadow travel affects you.”  

I shook my head.  “That’s not why I passed out.”  

His eyes narrowed.  “What, then?”  

My eyes flickered from Percy and back to Nico.  Apparently, Nico notices those kind of things.  He grabbed my wrist, and his expression turned to one of anger.  

“Are you good to stand?”  He asked, but definitely not because he was feeling like a particularly kind person.  

I shrugged, and he hauled me up, pulling me away from the rest of the group.  

For the first time, I noticed that we were still underwater, but this time around, instead of just being trapped inside a huge bubble, thanks to Percy, we were breathing.  And our clothes were completely dry.  I guess nothing surprises me anymore.  

“I want to know what you’re talking about.”  

I’m pretty sure he knew what I was talking about.  I could see his legs trembling.  

“I know you know what I’m talking about,”  I said quietly, trying not to say it too loud.  

His face paled.  “A-about...”  He trailed off.  

I think he didn’t want to assume that I knew about it, because if I wasn’t talking about the same thing as him, he would have just outed himself to me.  

“About Percy,”  

Then, before he had a chance to react, I told him why. “I passed out because Eros took me to the day you went to Cupid, to get a scepter of some sort?  I don’t know.  But he made you tell Jason basically and then it shut off and I woke up.”  

Nico was obviously trying to contain his fear. His pupils got small, and his breathing got heavier.  

“If you te-”  

“I’m not going to tell anyone.  I’m guessing Jason and I are the only ones who know?”  

He was quiet.  But he nodded.   His eyes had drifted over to where Percy was talking to Annabeth.  

“I understand.  I wouldn’t tell anyone.” 

His head whipped towards me.  “See, you don’t get it.  You don’t understand.  Unless you have some crush on Annabeth or something, you don’t.”  

I didn’t say anything.  He was right. 

I didn’t actually understand a thing.  He was younger when he had met Percy, more impressionable.  If what Percy told me was true, he had grown up in the 40’s, which was an impossible time to be gay.  Not only impossible, but completely disgraceful. 

I couldn’t imagine how much of a failure Nico felt like just being who he was, living in the 21st century where it was totally okay.  I felt so bad that he had been alone just because he felt like he was different and it wasn’t okay.  It was obvious he hated himself. 

“Your secret’s safe with me.  Don’t worry.  But you do realize you’re going to have to tell him sooner or lat-”  

“Later,” Nico snarled.  

Then his expression softened, looking at me, his eyes became less harsh, kinder.  “I’m sorry, I’m just so afraid all the...”  

He looked at me.  He broke down.  He started sobbing.  I didn’t know how to respond to that. It was totally unlike him.  I figured he probably didn’t want Leo and the others to hear him.  

“Hey,”  I said softly, “Let’s just shadow travel away for a bit, all right?  Don’t want to draw attention.”  

He sniffed and nodded.  He grabbed my hand, and suddenly, we were sitting in a café.  Nico was sitting across from me, his arms crossed.  He had stopped crying, but he was still pretty upset.  Emotional pain was washed across his face, he looked at me.  

“Okay.  You need to cheer up.  From what I’ve been through -which I have told you by the way, but you weren’t you so you don’t remember- It’s always better to just let it all out.”  

He nodded again.  He didn’t look like he was up for talking.  

“So, tell me about... him.  From the beginning.”  I didn’t dare say Percy’s name, in fear that he’d start crying again. 

Nico took a deep breath.  “Well.. it all started when I was at a boarding school in Maine with Bianca...”  

By the time he was finished, he not only looked better, but we both ate a lot, so we were stuffed.  He looked like himself again; sultry and brooding.   

“Are you ready to go back?”  

“Yeah.  Thanks, by the way.  You don’t have to be that nice to me.”  

I just smiled.  “Why wouldn’t I? You’re my brother.”  

Nico blushed.  I grabbed his hand, and we were back underwater.  Apparently, they’d all been looking for us, because Leo ran over.

“Found them!”  He called.  

Percy and Annabeth came rushing out of nowhere.  “Where have you guys been?!? We thought something took you or killed you or something!”  Annabeth yelled.  

Annabeth angry is a seriously scary thing.  Note to anyone who sees this:  Don’t make Annabeth angry or upset.  It’s not worth it.  Trust me.  

“It’s fine Annabeth, really.  We just need something sibling time.” 

Annabeth’s eyes narrowed.  She looked suspicious.  “Mhm.”  

She stormed away.  Percy gave us a look.  “Please tell us first.  I know i probably sound like a lame parent and you guys are only a little younger than me, but I care about you guys. We were worried.”  

“Okay, we get it, Mom.”  Nico snapped.  

Percy looked hurt, but he went to join Annabeth.  

“Okay, I understand you’re upset and whatever, but there is no need to be rude.”  

Nico sighed.  “He has no clue.  He’s such an idiot.”  He said bitterly.  

“While that may be true, you can’t just do that.  Didn’t you see the look on his face?” 

Nico ignored me.  “Hey Leo,”  he called.  “Do you think you could pull some McDonald’s out of that toolbelt of yours?”  

Leo looked confused.  “Probably.  But why the hell would you want cheeseburgers right now?  Wouldn’t they get soggy?  I seriously doubt you would be Lovin’ It, man.”  

Nico rolled his eyes.  “Just do it,”  He snapped.  Then he looked at me with a glint in his eye.  

“It’s time to teach sis about summoning the dead.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry about all the fillers.  By the way, I know it's kind of off-character for Nico to cry, but I figured we needed some bro and sis bonding.  THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 671 READS! I'M SO HAPPY!!!!

Read, Vote, Comment, Tell your friends!:)

Thank you!:)