Chapter 14

Chapter 14

 I think I remembered Annabeth saying something about an Oracle, but I was still nervous. 

 Percy sat with me at the Big House while the Oracle was still on her way.  “If you’re nervous now,”  he began, “be happy she’s living.  When I first got here, it was a mummy corpse in the attic.”  He pointed to the third floor of the building. 

 I’m not sure if he meant or that to be encouraging, but it didn’t really help at all.

 “Percy!” A female voice called. 

 I looked to the source of the sound and saw a girl about 17 or 18, with wild red hair and jeans on.  She wasn’t wearing the same thing as everyone else; she was wearing a plain t-shirt with paint stains on it.  she ran up to her spot on the porch, and gave Percy a huge hug.  I didn’t know that Annabeth would be too happy about that. 

 “Cyrena, this is Rachel, our Oracle.”  I shook her hand and smiled politely. 

 So this is the Oracle of myth?  A seventeen year-old girl?  I decided to just go with it. 

 “I’m Rachel,”  She began.  “Chiron told me I had to come and see you.”  Percy butt in.  “Rachel, she’s a daughter of Hades.”  Rachel frowned, then just about scared the crap out of me as she gasped like somebody punched her in the stomach. Her eyes glowed a bright green and raspy voice that was not Rachel’s spoke from her mouth.  

 “Five shall go to the place without cold,

Retrieve what was stolen from the legend of old.

Death bands together with fire and water,

Wisdom will assist to get them farther. 

One will remember a life of days past,

Fight the darkness at long last.”

 Rachel collapsed where she was.  She coughed and looked up.  I was expecting her to speak in that same raspy voice.  

 “So, what did I say?”  

 “I think,”  said a voice, “we’ve got a prophecy on our hands.” 

 I whipped around, and Annabeth appeared at Percy’s side.  Percy jumped.  He groaned.  “Will you stop doing that?”  He complained. 

 Annabeth smiled for quick second, but was right back to her steely expression in the matter of seconds. 

 “What does that even mean?”  I asked. 

 Obviously that was a prophecy, a rock could see that.  But I had absolutely no idea as to who it pertained to, or what it was talking about. 

 “She spoke to you,”  Annabeth explained, "so it has to be your quest.  You must be the death part.”  She was contemplating saying more, but Percy stopped her. 

 “Maybe we should call a meeting.  Get all the heads of the cabins in here.”  Annabeth looked pissed that Percy had interrupted her, but nodded.  “I’ll get everyone here in half an hour."

 I was sitting in what looked like a recreational room, and it was so quiet you could’ve heard a pin drop in there.  I was sitting next to Nico, who slouched back in his chair, trying not to be seen.  He reminded me of a surly teenager who hated the world. 

 Leo was sitting across from me, trying to get my attention, and I fake ignored him.  He kept yelling my name louder and louder until Iooked at him and glared.  He shut up.