Chapter 25

Chapter 25

I woke up in a dark corridor, seemingly made of stone.  There were ancient columns risen around me, mist billowing through the whole place.  I couldn’t tell if this was real, or a dream.  

Soon enough, after sitting in the dark not knowing why I was here, I realized I was not alone.  Three shapes appeared in the gloom.  

Two of them were about the same height, talking with the third, smaller man angrily. 

 “I don’t know. Nothing.” One of the taller ones was saying.  

The smaller man looked exasperated.  “Nothing?  The one you care for most... plunged into Tartarus, and still you will not allow the truth?”  

They kept walking closer, walking towards the corridor I was sitting in.  I stood up.  They little group was still talking, and the mist cleared as the three walked in.  Two of them, I knew.  

It was Jason and Nico, no doubt, although they looked a little younger than they were now.  Nico looked about 14, and Jason probably 15 or 16.  the other guy looked like an 80’s hair model, with curly blown back black hair.  

He turned towards Nico.  “You must face the god of love.”  

For some reason, Nico went pale.  I suddenly felt woozy again, like I was going to pass out any second.  In fact, I did end up passing out again, but only briefly, supporting myself against a mossy stone.  

When I finally felt able to open my eyes again, Nico and Jason were there still, without the 80’s dude.  There seemed to be a wind moving throughout the ruins, speaking to the two.  

Nico looked even worse than he did before.  Around his feet, the grass was dead.  He appeared clammy, and he was shaking. Suddenly, Jason was slammed back by something, lading on his back with a thud.  

Nico helped him up, and I heard a booming voice as the strange wind moved about.  

“Oh, did you expect me to play fair?  I am the god of love.  I am never fair.”  

So this was Eros they were talking to.  But this didn’t seem like Eros’s style.  He showed himself to me in that dream.  

I remembered what Eros had said, when I asked if he was Cupid.  I’m much kinder than my counterpart He said.  Ask your brother.  I realized with a jolt that I was watching my brother confront Cupid, Eros’s Roman form.  

It now made sense why I passed out seeing Eros’s face.  He was showing this to me.  Trying to make me understand something.  

The almost-evil god of love hurled arrows at the two guys, almost hitting Nico in the chest.  I wasn’t exactly paying attention, but Nico yelled at the god, and an arrow exploded into flame at his feet.  

“Love is on every side.  And no one’s side.  Don’t ask what Love can do for you.”  The god spoke from everywhere and nowhere.  

I was still in deep thought, my ears ringing as Jason slashed the air with his sword, wounding the invisible god.   The god began speaking again, saying how only a Child of the Underworld could summon the legions, and only an officer of rome could lead them.  

Another arrow materialized, and this time, it impaled itself in Nico’s arm.  I started running toward him, wanting to help him, but I passed straight through his body.  I was just an onlooker to this memory.  

Eros appeared next to me. He looked at me and smiled weakly.  “You should pay attention.  This might open your eyes to why your brother is so closed off.”