Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Needless to say, I was stunned when I met the actual, in the flesh Calypso.  It’s not very often you meet mythological beings that aren’t supposed to exist, but then again, my on father is a god.  I guess it should have surprised me a little less that she was real. 

 I stood there in my thoughts for a good 10 seconds, which, in awkward moment time, is about 15 minutes.  

Annabeth stepped forward and regarded the girl coldly.  “Hello.  I’m Annabeth Chase, daughter of Athena.”  

Calypso’s expression turned into sadness.  “So you’re the girl that Percy Jackson went back to. I can’t blame him.”  

My eyes flitted over to Percy, was just sitting there, smartly not saying anything. Annabeth nodded, though she genuinely looked sorry for Calypso.   

Calypso gracefully walked over to her table and sat down next to Leo.  “I assume you’re here for what my father left with me for all these years?”  

I shrugged.  “I don’t know exactly what we need.  We were just told to come here.”  

Calypso looked surprised. “Oh really?  I am going to presume that what you seek is not my freedom?”  She gave a pointed look to Leo.  

With a jolt, I remembered Leo’s promise to free Calypso from her island prison, however much it didn’t look like a prison.  “Nobody deserves to be locked up in here.”  I stated, not sure what the reaction was going to be.  

“I obviously completely agree with you. Just because I sided with my father, I was sent here for eternity.”  

I felt a pang of pity.  If I sided with my father, would I eventually get locked up unfairly, too?  

She shrugged.  “Of course, Percy Jackson promised to get me freed, but I assume the gods forgot about me, as did Percy.”

  She wasn’t looking at me now.  Percy looked like he wanted to cry. Obviously, he didn’t want to say anything about it in front of Annabeth.  

“Um, Calypso?  I think you and Percy need to talk.”  

Annabeth shot me a glare, like I don’t know what you’re doing, but it better not cost me my boyfriend.  I yanked Leo up from the chair, who was being surprisingly being quiet at the moment.  

His eyes looked like they did when I first told him where this quest would send us.  Heartbroken, guilty, regretful.  It made me worry as much as Annabeth worried about Percy. I herded everyone out of the room and down the staircase.  

Just as I was about to close the door, Percy called to me.  “Cyrena?  Could you stay?  It is your quest, anyway.”  

“Um.. Percy?  I don’t think Annabeht would like that very much.” 

 His eyes begged me to stay without saying anything.  He wanted someone there, even if it was someone who didn’t know him that well.  Maybe that’s just the type of person he wanted with him-an almost stranger.  

I sighed and walked back into the room, closing the door behind me.  Calypso was sitting there silently.  My footsteps echoed on the beautiful floor as I walked to the table.  

Outside, I could see Leo and the others standing there, talking about something.  I sat down and waited for some kind of blow up from somebody. 

Percy was the first to speak.  “Calypso, leaving you here was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do.” He said, his voice barely a whisper.