Chapter 12 - First Mission

Saya pov:

I sighed for the hundredth time. Frustrated and annoyed, I turned to my side and curled up into a ball under the blanket. A few minutes passed and I groaned as I opened my eyes.

I sat up on the bed and looked around my room close to crying. I had skipped having dinner with Yamato san because I was slightly upset about the way Tsunade sama had treated me earlier in the evening. I had hoped to just get some sleep and reenergize myself but I couldn't fall asleep for even a moment and it was already half an hour past midnight! I still wasn't sleepy and I was rather restless.

And to make things worse, my stomach was now grumbling in hunger.

I looked out of the window to see the twinkling stars and the half moon that lit up the sky. I also looked over the village that was now silent and serene. It was a peaceful night in Konoha and almost all the people living here were sleeping soundly and contently in their homes.

But not me.

I closed my eyes for a moment with a soft sigh and moved the blanket off myself. I got off the bed and put on my ninja shoes; I didn't bother changing into the ninja attire though because I wasn't in the mood to do that. I put my hair in a ponytail and I picked up my zanpakuto before walking out of my room.

I headed to the kitchen first and had some fruits and a glass of milk to calm my roaring stomach before walking back to the living room. I glanced at Yamato san's room once to make sure that he wasn't awake. His chakra was calm, signaling that he was in a deep sleep. Satisfied and knowing that I wouldn't be followed, I turned and walked out of the apartment.

I was also glad that the ANBU were no longer following me and keeping a tab on what I did every minute of the day. It felt wonderful to have privacy!

I walked through the streets of the village, avoiding the places where I could sense chakra of ANBU or jounin who were out on night watch duty. I was walking in a random direction until the Hokage Mountain came into view. I'd wanted to have a look at the village from the top of it just to see how big Konoha actually was. If I went in broad daylight, people would think of it as something suspicious. But now seemed to be the perfect chance.

Since there wasn't anyone I could sense at a visible distance from where I stood, I used shunpo to get to the top of the mountain. I walked to the very edge of the cliff so I could get a clear view of the whole village. It was quite big – almost the same expanse as Karakura Town – and had a twenty feet high compound wall all around it for protection. There was only one gate that served as an entry and exit and I was sure that there were people who kept a record of who moved in and out of the village at any point of time.

"Wow....this is quite a sight to see." I mumbled with a small smile.

I looked over the village for a few minutes while feeling the gentle breeze caress my skin. It ruffled my hair as well, causing my bags to tickle my forehead. Then I exhaled deeply and closed my eyes.

I was still sort of upset about the way Tsunade sama and the others in her office had reacted when I asked if I could learn healing. It's not like I asked something bad, right?

I was the type of person who longed for affection from the people around me. I received love from my savior family as well as the friends I had but I still felt so far away from them. So much of my life was a blank page and it was as if I was in a different world compared to those around me. I didn't want to be alone anymore. I didn't want to live with an empty heart. I didn't want to be shunned.

I wanted to interact with many more people and spend time with them positively. I wanted to smile, laugh, have fun, share secrets, go out on outings and do so much more with people. I wanted people to....reach out honestly to my heart just as I did to them.