Chapter 20 - Compassion

This chapter is dedicated to Skipper12324! Happy reading! :)

~~~~~~~~~~

Saya pov:

"Itachi san, aren't we going to take a break anytime soon?? It's raining really heavily and the gathering mist is starting to decrease our visibility!" I literally screamed to convey my message over the loud noise of the rain.

"If we want to take a break, we have to find shelter first!" Kisame san answered instead of Itachi san.

We hadn't taken a break from running for several hours now. After finishing up our mission in Suna, for which I hadn't really helped, we were heading towards a smaller village that was on the border of the Land of Fire and the Land of Wind. I had a feeling that we would run into Konoha shinobi on the way and I would be 'saved' from the clutches of the Akatsuki. But I was actually hoping not to run into them any time soon for several reasons....

Since it was the rainy season, dark clouds had gathered and some way through our journey, it had begun to rain. We pushed through it because it wasn't anything we couldn't handle but as the time passed, it began to get heavier. Mist had gathered and in just a few moments after I had asked if we could take a break, it began pouring like cats and dogs. We could barely see beyond twenty feet in front of us and it was then that we decided that we should take a break and wait for the rain to reduce before we continued traveling.

Luckily, after running for a few more minutes, we found a cave in which we could take shelter. We landed in front of the entrance of the cave, thankful to finally find a dry place to stay in. As I stepped into the cave, I wrapped my arms around my body and shivered.

I didn't bother about the other two and I walked to the back of the cave in hopes that it would be warmer than the front. I sat down on the hard rocky ground and brought my arms around my upright knees. It didn't feel that cold while running in the rain. But being in a dry place with wet clothes and with a constant cool breeze blowing into the cave made me feel a little cold.

I felt a shiver go down my spine and I blew hot air into my palms in an attempt to warm myself. I guessed that Itachi san and Kisame san had sat down somewhere in the cave too and I wondered if they were feeling cold like me. I wondered if there was any way we could start a fire to warm ourselves.

I was glad that I wasn't wearing my ninja attire because I would have felt even colder if my torso was exposed. I was still in the casual tourist clothes I was wearing during my mission in Togè Village – a white round neck t-shirt and a pair of slim fit dark blue pants. I had washed my clothes when I had taken a bath in the river on the way to the Akatsuki hideout and again after the successful mission in Suna. I was glad that Itachi san and Kisame san trusted me enough to let me bathe alone.

A few seconds passed in silence and I felt some cloth being put over my shoulders. I looked up and was mildly surprised when I saw Itachi san handing his Akatsuki cloak to me. Goose bumps erupted on my skin not just from the lingering warmth of his cloak but also from the mild smell of cologne that wafted across my face because of his proximity.

He too was soaking wet – his clothes drenched, his hair sticking to the sides of his face and his hands were cold. And yet he was giving me his cloak to wear. More than that, he was unwell. He had to keep warm if he didn't want his illness to get worse. Sure, I was healing him but he had to put in some of his own effort to speed up his recovery.

Just as Itachi san pulled his hands away from me when the cloak was over my shoulders, I caught one of his wrists. He met my gaze and my heart skipped a beat when I saw his charccoal eyes instead of the Sharingan. I felt oddly flustered and I immediately let go of his wrist while averting my eyes.