Chapter 39 - Decisions

Itachi pov:

I took a glance at Saya as she and the man she had called Tou san who was currently lying on the ground just a few feet away from us had a staring contest. I didn't quite know what to make of the situation and I could tell that the others were just as confused as me.

I tensed though, not just because the man on the ground shot out at Saya but also because Tsunade sama, Kakashi san and Ibiki san got quite defensive at the sudden pounce and pulled out weapons ready to attack if required. Sasuke too took a step back in slight concern because unlike the rest of the lot, he and I had no weapons on us and couldn't summon chakra to protect ourselves if something happened. But we were all surprised when Saya was yanked forward by the arm, the Mod Soul effectively falling off her shoulder at the sudden movement, and she was crushed in the arms of the man.

I could tell he was holding her pretty tightly. Saya, however, didn't seem to mind it and lifted her arms to wrap them around him as well. The man brought one hand to the back of her head and as he bent his head forward just a bit, I could see a tear make its way down his cheek.

Since there was no threatening hint in the situation, everyone relaxed a bit. But I was still tense, wondering if it was alright to stand here silently and wait for Saya to say or do something.

"Saya....it's really you, isn't it?" I heard the man ask.

"O-of course it's me! Tou san, you baka!" Saya responded, her voice cracking.

I realized that her shoulders were trembling. She even let out occasional sniffles – she was crying. I involuntarily clenched my fists feeling a tightness in my chest.

"Oh goodness....I thought we were never going to see you again....how could you have been so reckless?!" He pulled away from her, his voice rising in volume and even sounding scolding.

His brows were furrowed deeply but there were still tears running down his cheeks. Despite what anyone would call being angry, he looked frustrated, worried and relieved all at the same time.

"Going off the fight Aizen on your own without even informing anyone! How could you have done that?! Do you know how terrible it was for us after we found out you disappeared?! How could you....?!"

"OI YOU CRAZY OLD MAN! What the hell do you think you're doing so early in the morning?! I'm going to kill you! Just wait till I....!!!"

Saya's father was interrupted when the front door of the house was slammed open and a boy with bright orange hair and brown eyes stepped out with a murderous glare. I felt a little uneasy as he looked at all of us and then at his father who was embracing Saya. He narrowed his eyes but they went wide moments later and he gave a loud gasp upon seeing Saya as she looked over her father's shoulder.

"Yo! How you been, I-chi-go?" Saya asked with a playful hint.

"Y-you....Saya? No, it can't be....you disappeared...." The boy mumbled, unable to believe seeing Saya in front of him.

"What kind of welcome is that?!" Saya teased as she walked towards him.

Just as she reached him, she jumped and put an arm around his neck. She pulled him down to her level, causing him to stumble forward a bit, and she rubbed his head with her fist in a noogie. She had a lot of strength and the boy was unable to break free of her hold.

"Ow ow ow! That hurts! Let go of me!" He yelped and finally managed to slip out of her arm.

Saya was chuckling and she looked so radiant at the moment. I couldn't help but smile adoringly at her – this was the first time I had seen her smile so openly, so unrestrained. Well, I suppose it wasn't surprising because she was seeing her family after so long.