Chapter 24 - Relaxing Moments

This chapter is dedicated to ashley_collins! Happy reading! :3

~~~~~~~~~~~

Saya pov:

"If I notice that hey! Joy can also be shared,
and that it's OK if I don't do everything on my own, it's because I'm not alone now.

Little by little I began to change, forming these bonds of trust.

On the days when I feel discouraged, you're there
Changing my trembling hand into a strong one.
I want to transit the everyday life with you
even if it's only for a second.

If I notice this still agonizing old wound
which seems to swallow me whole, at that moment, I remember you.

I wonder if I've made a little progress; by forgiving I've become stronger....."

[a/n: Taisetsu na mono – an absolutely beautiful OST of Kyo Kara Maoh. Yes, I know I need to work on that story too ^^' Please bear with me *sheepish smile*]

"Those words seem to fit me more than you." Itachi said and I stopped singing.

I looked up at him with a soft laugh. "I think it applies to me too. There are many times I feel that I'm not doing as much as I should be...."

"I'm sure you are doing much more than you think. You've given me what I never thought I would ever receive from anyone." He gave another one of his small smiles and I became a blob of mush.

I shook my head and looked back at his chest over which my hands hovered. They were glowing a gentle blue color, healing his illness. We were sitting in the shade of a big tree with me sitting in his lap sideways while leaning back comfortably against his upright knee and his free hand resting on my knee. Kisame san had gone off on a scroll stealing mission on his own because he wanted some exercise. And by exercise, he meant taking care of the bunch of shinobi who would be guarding the scroll.

Itachi and I weren't interested in fighting people so we were glad that we were left behind.

It has been two weeks since Itachi confessed his feelings towards me and I have responded wholeheartedly to it. We had become very comfortable around each other during this short time. We didn't talk much – Itachi wasn't the type to socialize or have easily flowing conversations – but we silently basked in each other's presence. We often held hands, though I was the one who initiated it most of the time, and there were also times when Itachi would embrace me to ease the frustrations or the distress he was feeling. It was a moment of comfort and contentment that both of us enjoyed.

When I gave Itachi healing sessions, I would either be sitting in his lap as I am now or while I sat next to him, he would be watching me. Sometimes, he would even reach out to caress my cheek with the back of his fingers or move my fringe behind my ear. Every gesture of his was so tender, so loving and it made me love him, made my heart throb for him even more than before.

He was still overall hesitant though and didn't show any of his gestures in front of Kisame san. I could understand that this was all new to him just as it was to me but he was still in the process of accepting affection over his self imposed punishment. He often told me that he didn't deserve kindness and affection from anyone because he felt terribly guilty for what he had done. He had wanted his younger brother and the only surviving member of his clan to kill him in a fight and avenge the clan but ever since I turned up in his life, he was wavering in his decision. There was even one time he pushed me away and said that he thought he should go ahead with his initial decision anyway and stop this fleeting comfort he had with me. But I had embraced him, caressed his head soothingly and told him that he shouldn't think like that.