Chapter 22 - Wavering

Awww!!! Isn't a sleeping Itachi kun so cute?! Cuteness overload ! *kyaaaaahh!* >w< 

This chapter is dedicated to Asuka87! Happy reading! :3

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saya pov:

Pressing my lids together tightly, I resisted from groaning as I woke from blissful sleep. Going to the hot springs was an amazing experience – soaking in the hot water had relaxed all my stiff muscles and aided me with the best sleep I had had in ages.

I had sensed Itachi san and Kisame san come to the hot springs too and they had settled at the very back of the hot springs on the men's side. In fact, they were right opposite to the place where I had been soaking. I soaked in a secluded part of the hot springs because I didn't want to get very social with the tourists who were in the hot springs yesterday and it looked like Kisame san and Itachi san felt the same way; all the more because they were noted members of the Akatsuki.

When I returned to the room after the soak in the hot springs, I was alone. I didn't have anything to do or anyone to talk to so I had looked out of the window while sitting on one of the beds. I intended to wait until Itachi san and Kisame san had returned from the hot springs but some way through, I couldn't keep my eyes open. I had taken the liberty to lay down on one of the beds and not so surprisingly, I had fallen asleep the second I closed my eyes.

I guessed it was morning now because I felt well rested. I wasn't a heavy sleeper but I usually didn't wake up any time in the middle of the night unless the noise or the pressure of the air around me was too much.

I tried to turn to lie on my back but I felt a dead weight over my torso that prevented me from making much movement. I also realized that I was sleeping very close something rather warm and I was tempted to curl up closer against it. I could feel warm air over my forehead every few seconds and I was almost sure I could hear the beating of a heart very close by.

Beating of a heart? Wait...what?!

I snapped my eyes open, now thoroughly awake. Instead of seeing the wall or part of the room in front of me, I saw blue grey clothes and pale skin. It took me a minute to understand what was happening but when my brain finally processed the information, my eyes went wider and heat rushed to my face. My heart picked up speed and I felt flustered. I tilted my head up just a bit, desperately hoping that Itachi san wasn't awake to see me in this embarrassing situation.

Thankfully, Itachi san wasn't awake. He had his eyes closed, his body was limp and he was most definitely asleep. However, he wasn't sleeping peacefully. His brows were furrowed, his eyes darted rapidly behind his lids and his breathing was heavy. Every now and then, he would press his lids together tightly and let out soft moans. I think he was having unpleasant dreams.

I had realized that some time during the night when we were asleep, we had shuffled and ended up in this position. I was facing Itachi san and sleeping close to him for his body warmth and his arm was carelessly flung over my waist. He wasn't holding me purposely – his arm was limply resting over me. Itachi san's hair was free from its usual hair tie and was somewhat sprawled out over his face and the half of the soft pillow he was sharing with me.

I felt like he would wake up if I tried to get out of his 'unintentional' embrace so I stayed unmoving and looked over his face.

My heart squeezed painfully as I remembered what had happened in the cave a few days ago. What Itachi san had said about his past, his mission of killing his clan and family was yet to be digested by me. Forget about how he always portrayed himself to be despite the obvious pain visible in his eyes. He appeared could and cruel to those around him but at this proximity, he looked so tormented. He looked like he really needed someone to heal him on the inside. He was hurting so much from guilt and remorse rather than his illness.