Chapter 18 - Forbidden Longing

Saya pov:

"You have nothing. You....are a nobody."

I groaned at the strange voice I heard echo around me. My body convulsed when a strange figure appeared in front of my eyes for a split second. It was a person I couldn't see long enough to recognize but I was sure that he had glowing turquoise eyes.

"Tell me, what is the purpose of your existence?"

My fingers twitched at the sound of the voice again. I felt soft grass blades through my fingers but I wasn't awake enough to open my eyes and see if I was dreaming or there was someone actually next to me speaking. Well, the voice was faint and sounded distant so I assumed that I was dreaming.

"Fake concern.....lies.....you're not trusted....nowhere to go, no comrades, nothing. You are nothing. Without me, you are nothing Saya."

No, I was not nothing. I had a home to return to, I had people who I trusted and who trusted me, I had comrades cared for me just as I cared for them. I wanted to scream that to whoever was talking. I wanted to prove him wrong by telling him about my family in my world and my friends in the shinobi world. It's true that not everyone in either world were truthful and those who were truthful hid things about themselves that they didn't want other people to know but I'm sure that it didn't mean that I was an outcast. It didn't mean that I was considered an outsider.

"You won't return to me so I won't let anyone have you!" The voice echoed louder this time and I felt a sharp pain through my head when I saw the person again.

However, he was in my line of vision for longer than the first time and I got a glimpse of his plain white mask and the black symbol that was painted on it. Rather than the vision causing my head to hurt, I think that it was the symbol. It seemed somehow familiar but I couldn't tell where I had seen it. And when I tried to recall the pattern, I felt like my eyes could right about pop out of their sockets because of the pain in my head.

"You are mine!"

I returned my concentration to the masked man and noticed that he had a katana in his hand. But seeing the pattern on his mask once again caused me excruciating pain in my head that resonated through my body and I couldn't move even a single muscle. A second later, I felt the blade being thrust through my chest.

I snapped my eyes wide open and shot up into sitting position. My breathing was ragged and every inch of my body was drenched in sweat. I reached up to hold the fabric above my heart where it hurt with every breath I took. My entire body was convulsing from the remnants of fear I had felt in the so called dream and my muscles were tense. Reflexive to what I had seen behind closed eyes, my body had sprung into active defensive mode.

It took me several moments to calm down enough to realize that I wasn't actually in any danger. I blinked and slumped my shoulders a bit. My breathing had reduced to unsteady heaves and I finally took note of my surroundings.

I had been lying under the shade of a tree. It was already evening though and there wasn't much sunlight that I needed to be shaded from. It was even a little cool and I shivered as a breeze passed over my sweaty skin. I could hear the sound of running water in the distance and I took support of the tree trunk so I could stand and make my way to the water body.

I was quite surprised at how affected I was by the dream. I could barely walk – it was almost like I was a baby taking its first steps. I was wobbly, unbalanced and even fell to my knees once. But I managed to make it to the river and I fell onto my knees in a heap again. I gathered some water in my cupped hands and splashed it over my face. I did so several times before drinking the water and feeling its coolness as it went down my throat and all the way to my stomach.