Trapped

Monica

Sheri cooked breakfast early this morning. I was sitting at the island chewing on bacon when King came downstairs with his phone in his hands.

"Hey sleepy head." I smiled.

"Hey." He spoke dryly.

"I was hoping we could start finding my parents today."

"Nah. Not today." King said.

"Oh okay. Tomorrow then."

"Not tomorrow either."

"Okay. When?"

"No time soon." He grabbed a glass of orange juice and went back upstairs.

I sighed. I was afraid this might happen. As soon as I told him how I felt about him he would start acting different.

"Quit pouting and get ready for church." Sheri said walking into the kitchen all dressed up.

"Church?"

"Yup. Now go on, we don't wanna be late."

I finished up my breakfast and went to get dressed.

I put on a simple olive green dress. It wasn't quite church attire but it will have to do.

There was a knock on my bedroom door.

"Come in." I said and ran a brush through my thick hair.

Nick entered. He had on a suit and tie.

"What Nick?" I asked him slipping on my bracelet.

"So you like King?"

I turned and looked at him. "Who-"

"King did." He answered already knowing what I was about to ask.

I sighed. "It's complicated."

He laughed. "That's nasty."

"How?"

"You're our sister."

"Technically I'm not."

"Doesn't matter. All I'm saying is you better hope mama don't find out about y'all relationship." He walked out my room.

"It's not a relationship." I said more to myself.

I put my head in my hands and thought to myself for a little while until Sheri busted into my room.

"Mo come on."

I grabbed my purse and followed her outside to the car. I had to sit in the back seat with King.

He was texting away on his phone while I just looked out the window.

"What's wrong you two? Y'all quiet."  Sheri said pulling out the driveway.

"I'm tired." King said.

"What about you Mo? What's wrong?"

"Nothing." I lied. It was bothering me that King didn't feel the same way about me.

The drive to church didn't take as long as I thought it would.

When we walked inside the preacher was already preaching away.

King sat down next to Nick and I had no choice but to sit next to him. I made sure to leave a space between us.

"Scoot down Mo. King won't bite." Sheri told me.

I scooted a little closer to King. The weird vibes were so uncomfortable.

"Damnit- I mean dang it. I left the Bible's in the car. King can you go get them?" Sheri asked him.