Old Friends Meet Again

(Nick)

King

We stepped off the plane and the cool breeze hit us right in the face.

"Damn. I forgot how cold it was here." Nick said zipping up his jacket.

I did the same and placed my hood on my head. We just landed in Chicago and were about to rent a vehicle.

"Do you wanna see Mo while we here?" Nickolas asked me.

"No." I responded dryly.

"You tripping. Imma' go see my sister."

"That's on you. I ain't going." I said and walked up to the rental desk.

"Hi. How long will you be needing the vehicle you rent?" A nice female asked.

"A day-"

"Nah a week." Nick cut me off.

The lady looked at both of us. "Ma'am we will only need it for a day."

"Nah. A week like I said." Nick handed her his credit card.

"Umm. Okay." She said swiping his card and then handed us the keys to a blue Camaro.

"The car will need to be returned by the end of this week. If it is returned with any scratches or dents a extra fee will have to be payed. Enjoy." The girl said with a smile and walked away.

I gave Nick a look. "Boy we ain't staying here for a damn week."

"Yea we are. If you don't like it catch a plane and fly back." Nick got into the driver's seat and started up the car.

"You a bitch for this." I said and got into the passenger seat.

"Put your seatbelt on. I haven't driven in five years."

"Ah shit."

Monica

My arms were wrapped tightly around this woman I barely even know. The tears ran down my face as she hugged me back. We pulled away from each other.

"Why? Why did you give us away?" I asked demanding an answer.

"Can we talk about this somewhere quieter?" She asked.

I nodded and snatched my apron off. I collected all of my tips and stuffed them into my pocket.

"Minnie! Cover my shift." I gave the VIP bartender twenty dollars and she nodded agreeing.

I placed my jacket on and walked out of the club with my "mother" following behind me.

"Come on. We can chat at my place." I said and led her to my car.

It took no time to get home. Once we were inside we took a seat on the couch that sat in the living room.

"Okay uh. Do you want water or something?" I asked nervously. I'd never thought this day would come. I never thought I'd find my biological mother.

"No I'm fine. Just sit." She instructed and I sat across from her.

"Well I guess you should know my name. I'm Naomi Monroe."

"I'm Monica." I said still shocked and surprised that I was actually talking to my mother.

She laughed. "I know who you are."

"Back to my question. Why did you give us away?"

"I didn't have a choice really. When I gave birth to you and Yonica, your dad and I got arrested the same day."