For Better or Worse

Monica

"I'm thinking about naming him something after Nick." Dorian rubbed her belly while sitting on my couch.

"Mmmm, sounds nice." My fingers typed rapidly on my laptop keyboard.

"What are you doing? You been on your computer every since I been over here." Dorian got up and slightly wobbled over to me.

"Nothing." I shut the top of my laptop.

"Girl what you hiding?" She laughed and opened the top.

Her eyes scanned my computer. "Why are searching for houses?"

I sighed. "Because we're moving."

"Wait. Wait. What?" Dorian furrowed her eyebrows.

"Me and the girls are packing up and moving to Houston, Texas." I announced with a smile but Dorian seemed a tab angry.

"So what? King gets locked up and you decided to just run away?"

"I'm not running away D. I'm just trying new things okay? I will always come back and visit you."

"What the hell Monica. Are you only thinking about yourself? Did you think about the girls?"

"Of course."

"What about me? Or even King?"

"What do you mean Dori?"

"I'm saying I'm going to be having a baby in four months and I hoped that my best friend would be here to support me."

"I will. I will fly here a week before your due date."

"Monica are you serious right now?"

"Why are you so mad?"

"Because, think about the girls. Leaving would make them torn."

"They will visit King calm down. It's not like I'm taking them away forever."

Dorian gave me a stank look.

"Look I got a big job opportunity that is offering a lot of money. And if I'm going to be taking care of my kids on my own I need the cash. You should be happy for me."

"Well I'm sorry but I'm not." Dorian grabbed her car keys and her purse. "You should think again before leaving." She opened the front door and left.

I honestly don't care about anybody's opinion at this point. I'm doing this for me and my girls.

"Mo can we play a board game?" Queen asked holding the Monopoly box.

"Sure." I said.

She took a seat at the island and opened the game.

"That's a pretty house." Queen commented looking at my laptop.

"You like it?"

"Yea. Does it have a pool?"

"Yup."

"Then I love it."

"Good. Because this is going to be our new home." I smiled.

"New home?" Queen said with confusion.

"Yea. You don't want to move?"

"Will I still get to see daddy?"

"Of course baby girl."

"Then I don't mind moving."

"At least someone is on my side."

"When are we moving?" Queen questioned setting up the board game. "Can we stay until my birthday?" She asked.

I almost forgot that her birthday was coming up in two weeks.

"Sure."

Two weeks was enough time to pack up the house, register Queen into a new school, find a trustworthy day care for Miracle, and move into our new house. Everything is going to work out perfectly. I honestly cannot wait.

King

My head laid on the cold mental of my bunk. I heard keys jangling and I looked up to see a guard unlocking my cell.

"Phone call." He said.

I sighed getting up off the bunk. I proceeded out my cell and over to row of phones that hung on the dirty wall.

I picked up the phone. "Hello."

"Did you know Monica is trying to leave the state!? Are you seriously going to let her get away with this shit and take your girls. King you have to-" Dorian yelled and said all at once.

"D. Calm yo ass down." I said. "Monica ain't leaving. She's just lying."

"Are you sure about that Kingston? She sure is looking for houses."

"She's bluffing."

"How can you be so sure."

"Because I know her. She wouldn't leave take the girls like that."

"She's changed. She has a different mind set. She doesn't give a damn about you right now King."

I sighed and placed my head on the wall.

"What could i possible do D? You act like I can take my jumpsuit off and walk out of here."

"I guess you're right. There's nothing we can do to stop her."

Monica

I sat on my bedroom floor going through my many clothes. I put things that I didn't want or couldn't fit anymore in one pile and stuff I wanted in another.

"I'm done Mo." Queen said skipping into my room.

"Did you pack most of your toys?"

"Yup."

"Good. Now go sort your clothes."

"Ugh. Why?"

"Because I really want to get everything packed within three weeks Q."

"Alright." She sighed walking out of my bedroom.

I laughed a little and started opening my dresser drawers.  It was nothing but junk. Old pictures of me and King. And old jewelry that he bought me years ago.

I picked up a small black box. I opened it slowly and it was empty. The engagement ring he purchased was once in here but now it's gone.

"Queen." I said walking into her room.

"Yes?"

"Have you seen a ring around here?"

"No."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." She gave me a toothy smile.

I nodded and tossed the box into the trash. I'm not really worried about where the ring is. It's better being lost. After all, I don't want anything reminding me of King. I want him erased from my mind. I grabbed all of his clothes out of my closet and put them in a trash bag.

After getting them all in a bag I went into the backyard and lit a match. I tossed the match into the pile of clothes and watched them as they burned.

Call me a crazy, over the top bitch, but this is the only way I can move on. For better or for worse.