Although Im Missing You

Monica

My hands shook as I started up my chevy truck. I placed my head on my steering wheel trying to process everything that just happened.

"Thirty-five what? Years? No, can't be. Maybe I heard wrong."I tried to tell myself but it wouldn't work. King has to serve thirty-five years in prison. This is what he gets. I'm happy as hell, but at the same time torn. His kids will be grown. Miracle won't even remember his face.

I took a deep breath drying my face. I put my truck in  drive and pulled out the parking lot trying to control my emotions. It was hard to do. All I could think about was King and his kids.

Ten minutes passed and I was pulling up in my driveway. Dorian was sitting on the porch rocking Miracle and Queen was playing with a basketball and some chalk.

How the hell am I suppose to tell a little girl that she won't be able to see her daddy until she's grown?

"Mo! Look what I drew on the sidewalk!" Queen jumped and pointed.

"Cute." I look at the colorful picture engraved in the sidewalk.

"Can you play basketball with me?" Queen asked.

"Maybe later."

"Aww." She looked down sadly.

"I promise." I ran my hands through her messy hair.

I jogged up the steps to the porch.

"Hey. How did it go?" Dorian smiled.

"Great." I said with my eyes filling up with tears.

"You're lying. What happened? How long is his sentence."

"Thirty-five."

"Weeks? Right?"

I shook my head no. "Years."

Dorian almost dropped Miracle out of her arms.

"Oh my-what the- no."

I nodded and sniffed. She pulled me into her arms and I cried on her shoulder.

"I don't know what I'm going to do D."

She grabbed my face. "You're gonna' keep doing what you been doing Mo. Taking care of these girls."

I sighed and looked at Queen jumping around bouncing that basketball. She looked so happy I decided not to even tell her the horrible news.

"Be strong Monica." Dorian gave me a hug and dropped Miracle in my arms. She got into her car and drove off.

"Come on Queen. Let's go inside, it's late."

"Okay." She dropped the ball in the yard and skipped into the house.

She left her jacket by the door and kicked off her shoes.

"I'm starving. What's for dinner?"

"Umm ice cream sound good?"

"It's sounds amazing." She smiled.

I laughed and grabbed the cotton candy ice cream out the freezer.

"Mo are you okay? You're being too nice."

"I'm fine Queen."

"Are you sure? Your nose look like Rudolph the red nose reindeer." She giggled a tapped my nose.

"I have a cold."

"Or you must have been crying. Crybaby."

"Who you calling a crybaby?"