Chapter One

Maisy's POV

"Maisy, the Make-a-Wish people will be here soon!" My nurse reminded me. I sighed and walked over to my dresser.

Here, let me introduce myself: Hi! I'm Maisy Evans and I have thyroid cancer. I got diagnosed when I was eleven, and I'm fifteen now. I guess you could say I've been lucky.

My cancer never really gets better or gets worse, so the people at the hospital made this room my own room. They brought in a dresser and desk even, so I could feel at home.

I slipped on a white cami and black jeans, with a gray cardigan over my shirt. Since I wouldn't be leaving my room, I didn't bother putting on any shoes.

You see, the Make-a-Wish people are coming to interview a few cancer kids to see if their story it worthy of a wish. My nurse, Susan, told me that almost every case was accepted, so I didn't have to worry.

"You look great!" My best friend, Erin West, compliments me and sits at the edge of my bed.

Erin is a thirteen year old brain cancer patient I met when I first got diagnosed. I love Erin like a sister. And even though her doctor gave her less than seven months to live, we we're determined to make the best of it.

"You too! How do you not have a boyfriend?" She blushes and plays with her fingers.

"I'm gonna go to my room. Text me later how the interview goes!" I nod and soon she's off.

"Maisy, they're here." Susan informs me. I sit up straight on my bed and fix my hair.

A tall, blonde man walks in with a suit on and smiles at me. I return the favor and he sits at my desk.

"Hello Ms. Evans, I'm Mr. Hinish." I greet him and he starts the interview.

"So when were you diagnosed?"

"Soon after my eleventh birthday." I respond and he scribbles something down.

"What type of cancer do you have?"

"I have thyroid cancer." He gives me an unneeded look of sympathy and writes some more on his clipboard.

"Who are your inspirations?" He asks and leans forward on the chair.

"Well, I'm a big fan of youtubers, especially a collab channel called OurSecondLife. Oh, and I love Lea Michele. She's so strong."

Mr. Hinish asks me loads of more useless questions.

"Lastly, what would you use with your wish if you were to get your wish granted?"

"I've thought about this multiple times, but I've never made up my mind. I'm debating between a trip to Anaheim, California to go to a youtube event or Disneyworld. I figured my little brother would enjoy meeting Minnie and Mickey." Mr. Hinish writes down a few last words before standing up.

"Thank you, Maisy. Stay strong." I smile politely at him and he leaves the room.