Prologue

Cameras flashed repeatedly and people were screaming out their love and devotion. Even though it was technically summer, that specific night was still a little chilly— especially for wearing a strapless dress. Photographers were yelling out commands on where to look and journalists were yelling out questions from all angles.

It was a bit overwhelming; considering that she wasn't used to this type of attention. With the success of the teenage drama film, she was expected to show up at every press conference and premiere that promoted the film. Her name and face was plastered all over the walls with fans begging for her autograph. All of this was achievable in just a matter of months.

Corey Hanson, her director and friend, told her it was most likely because of her near death experience that was splattered all over the news. She knew that was one of the reasons.

The other, for sure, was because Corey's best friend and the co-director/screenwriter, Nathan had overdosed on cocaine a couple of weeks ago.

The film was surrounded by negativity but yet it was flourishing and hitting a homerun in the box office. Before today, the film was considered to be Lifetime-worthy but because of the recent news, it was instantly put into the box office category and now it was doing excellent.

The opening weekend carried in a total of three hundred and twenty million in the UK alone. It wasn't even released in the United States yet but she and her team were booked for every premiere, promotional interviews and talk-shows.

Let's just say her summer wasn't this busy until a few months ago. She was experiencing what they called a culture shock because this was definitely a different world from her own.

Her manager, step-mother and best friend, Priscilla escorted her inside away from the cameras and reporters towards her dressing room backstage where her other best friends, Maria and Tori sat drinking Champagne.

"Are you even old enough to drink that?" Janessa teased as she stole Tori's glass and threw it back with one gulp.

"No one has to know." She scowled before pouring another.

"Just this once," Priscilla warned. She knew Tori's brother; Keith would have a fit if he knew she was drinking. Keith was also James' best friend; although, with what happened recently, she wasn't sure Keith still saw him as his best friend anymore. 

James; Janessa's father and Priscilla's husband, wasn't himself over the last couple of years. He was a power hungry, selfish man who got mixed up in the wrong crowd. Priscilla had divorced him and Keith was furious with him but with him being shot in the stomach by his then boss, James had an epiphany and turned his life around. They remarried and worked on their relationship with Janessa but somehow... Keith couldn't let go of what James did in the first place. 

"I promise." They all laughed it off.

Janessa sat in a chair before the mirror as a makeup artist did small touch-ups. She pondered on the fact that Keith wasn't himself lately. He was distant and acting strange. She heard he visited her every day for the three months she was in a coma but now he refused to see her.

She visited him at his office a few months ago but he barely said anything to her. He was just staring down at the city from his side of the room while she spoke to his broad back. After realizing that he wouldn't reply or even look at her, she turned around and left.

Sometimes, Tori would try and explain what was going on but she told her younger friend that it wasn't necessary. What's done is done.

"They're ready for you." The stage director told her. She was expected to do a short interview before they premiered the movie for the first time in the United States.

"I just need a minute." Janessa told them before reaching for a glass of water.

"We'll give you some time. Girls, let's go," Priscilla told them before leaving.

Once she was alone, her mind began to wander into uncharted territory; she began thinking about Reese... her boyfriend that got another girl, Jennifer, pregnant. Her boyfriend that tried to kidnap her and ended up putting her in a three month coma. No one still mentioned his name around her and she was grateful but she couldn't help but wonder what went wrong— what exactly happened in his mind. 

"Reminiscing are we?" A voice filled the room and Janessa looked up to see Kimmy Henderson.

She was the executive's daughter and also Keith's fiance—not to mention she also wouldn't stop pursuing Reese until she had her fill. Janessa knew he cheated with her. Ever since she found out about Jennifer, she knew it was just a matter of time. To make matters worse, Kimmy wouldn't stop bragging to her about it after Reese got admitted to that institution. He was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder and was cleared of all charges. 

—Including what he did to Jennifer.

"I'm not sure if anyone told you but only people with talent are allowed back here." She quipped.

"You must think you're really funny, huh?" Kimmy ventured closer into the room. "I came here to give you the good news."

"What news?"

Kimmy smirked before leaning closer to whisper, "He's coming out soon,"

"How do you know that?" She remained calm on the outside but fear had a grip on her heart.

"He's coming for you when he does get out... for sending him to that place," she smirked as she walked towards the door. Then, she turned her head at the last minute and added in a whisper, "and I'm going help him."

Janessa's face went pale just then as the fear rose up her throat and had her frozen. Even after Kimmy left, she sat still in her seat until Maria came looking for her. When she saw the look of fear on her friend's face, she immediately closed the room door and hugged her.

"It's okay, he's not here. He can't hurt you anymore." She cooed as they hugged tighter— her tears threatening to spill.

__________________

A few days after the promotional drama was over with and she got a few days break, Janessa called a cab and decided to take a trip. She wanted to come a few weeks ago but she knew no one would allow her to.

After being cleared by security, she walked down the hall and took a right as the guards instructed her. When she saw him, he was doing pull ups from a metal bar they had across the small room that resembled solitary confinement.

His back was sweaty and looked more muscular than she remembered. Back when they were together, he would try not to get too bulky because it would affect his surfing but now he was completely different.

As if feeling her presence, he stopped in the middle of his swift pull ups and let himself fall to the floor where he landed with as much grace as a cat. He slowly turned around and his face was blank. His beard had grown in and his thick, black hair had grown out past his shoulders.

Then, his eyes lit up and his blank face was now replaced with one of admiration.

"Hello, Reese." She said as her voice shook. The memories of what he did to her, Maria and Jennifer started to surface and she almost choked on fear— despite them being separated by a thick glass wall.

"Sweetheart," he breathed as if it were a dream.

__________________________

You guys are in for a treat ;)

I've got some twists up my sleeve. 

Xoxo