Deadly Temptation (28)

The first thing that Janessa realized was the stench. Inside the little shack smelled like a wet dog—no, it smelled like wet dirty clothes that had been stuffed at the bottom of the hamper for months.

As soon as she flicked her phone flashlight on, she noticed the floors were covered with dirty sand. She began to wonder if they were really here or if this were a trick. It would only make sense that it was a trick; who the hell would stay in this place by choice?

Exhaling deeply, she ventured further into the shack, flashing the light on the walls and floor to make sure she wouldn't trip over anything or that anyone wouldn't jump out on her. The whole place was a wreck, to say the least.

Back when she and Reese were dating, this place was a small little restaurant that served burgers and fries and the occasional fish if their resources allowed it. The shack was owned by a retired surfer that decided to live in the back of the place and flip burgers at the front to pay his bills.

She had thought it was a simple but happy life — to just be and go with the flow. Now, however, she knew better... she wanted better for herself. She wanted to make an impact; to help people achieve their higher potential. She wanted a whirlwind love that would sweep her up and make her crazy— and that was what she had with Keith. He made her feel like she was out of her mind with anger and frustration at one point but then he made her feel like this was it... this was the height of her life and the high she got from it was incomparable.

Before she could think anything else, the lights from the ceiling were flipped on and bathed the entire place in a dingy orange glow. Standing in the far corner of the room, Luke stared at her while dressed in a blue hoodie and board shorts. It felt like years since she last saw him even though it was just a few hours. So much had changed since then.

"Luke, why haven't you been answering my calls?" She asked him in a stern voice.

"You don't seem surprised to see me," his voice was hoarse and his eyes were hidden.

"I'm mad, that's what it is." She continued, forgetting that he may be a psycho killer like Reese and thinking that he was just her good friend that she once shared her thoughts and time with.

"It doesn't matter now. We're out of time," he mumbled.

"Where's Lily?"

He raised his head just then, showing his blue eyes that were now dull and tired. "He wants to see you first."

Her breath caught in her throat just then. Adrenaline and fear pumped through her veins as she suddenly started thinking of all the possible scenarios that could play out. Luke nodded his head to his right before walking in that direction.

It was now or never.

________________________

"I believe I have the right to know just why I should hack into someone's GPS system..." Frank, an undergrad Computer Science Major at NYU, said while scratching his eyebrow.

Marshall knew of him through some online links and chat rooms where he scavenged for months trying to find information on a local hacker that he needed help from. The hackers trail got cold but he found Frank, a naive hacker that was easily found. Marshall made sure he got to him first and promised to cover his trail if he helped him with his cases.

"Because someone's life is in danger, Frank."

"It's my car you're hacking into and I'll crack your head open if you don't," Keith glared at him.

Frank's eyes widened then he swiveled back around to his computer. "Fine but it might take a while,"

"How long?"