Deadly Temptation (20)

"Flight 15075 has been cancelled due to some technical difficulties."

Janessa exhaled loudly and closed her eyes before her anger boiled over. She had been waiting for three hours for her flight to Houston only to hear it's been cancelled at the last minute. She had ditched her friends at the crack of dawn after a night of partying to take this flight and be back before the evening.

Great plan, Nessa.

Going up to the front desk— which thankfully wasn't swarmed with people just yet— she asked for the next flight out seeing as there couldn't be just one plane going to Houston.

"The next flight to Houston is available for this evening around seven, is that okay?" A fellow blonde girl about her age told her.

"No, that's running too close to an event. Are you sure there are no other flights available for even this afternoon? I'll take anything."

Her trip to New York got pushed back since Luke had something important pop up and he had to attend to it. The others weren't willing to go without everyone so Janessa decided to go on her little side trip instead.

The universe, however, had other plans.

"I'm so sorry, that's the closest one. The others are all scheduled for tomorrow."

Well, I guess I could always go tomorrow.

Driving back home, the sun had fully risen and the car radio all had good morning messages coming in from listeners. It was somewhere close to seven o'clock and she would easily be able to slip back into her bed without anyone noticing. The last few days had been a blur as she was caught up in filming the final scenes for her TV drama series that would air later this year.

It was already the month of June and her birthday was tomorrow. The event later on was supposed to be the grand gala to celebrate both her birthday and to woo potential investors for her father's company. Since there was no trip to New York, she was blackmailed into attending by Priscilla.

"Please, we've put everything together and all you have to do is show up. Just do this for your father or I'll tell him about your little late night trips." She had said while arching a brow in her direction.

"What are you talking about?" Janessa asked her.

"Don't think that I can't smell the remnants of the marijuana underneath all the perfume you tried to cover it with."

Janessa's eyes snapped up to hers.

"I see the look in your eyes when you get home. I'm not telling you to stop but I know your father would have a problem."

Janessa clenched her jaw. Since when was Priscilla on her father's side?

"Fine." She said through gritted teeth. "You play dirty."

"Only to get what I want," Priscilla had smirked.

So now, as she pulled into the drive way, Priscilla opened the front door in her robe with a stern look on her face. Janessa sighed because she knew what was coming. Ever since Priscilla came home without Liam, she'd been restless and harassing everyone else when she wasn't at the hospital— which was from morning til night when the nurses would tell her she had to leave her baby.

"I see you packed a bag." Her eyes glanced at the small knapsack in Janessa's hand.

"It's nothing."

"What's going on with you?"

"I'm fine, Priscilla. Are you okay?"

She always turned the question back around because she knew Priscilla would start talking about Liam. It was understandable that she was worried and fretting over her child so Janessa tried to not be too bitchy when talking to her.