Deadly Temptation (17)

Sitting in the McDonald's parking lot, Janessa scarfed down two burgers and was currently munching on some nuggets while Keith watched her. He settled on some onion rings and watched her eat her weight in food. She would close her eyes and moan while eating — which only made Keith hard again.

"Are you ready to tell me how you even knew about that party?"

"A friend of mine got invited." She shrugged and sipped on her drink.

Keith narrowed his eyes at her. She was being vague on purpose. If he needed answers, he would have to gain her trust— the same trust they shattered together.

"You know what you need? A break."

"What kind of break?" She eyed him.

"I was thinking maybe a trip to Las Vegas?"

"Vegas?" She perked up in her seat; eyes wide with excitement. "Are you serious?"

"I have some business to do there so why not? It would be good for you." He shrugged,

"But I'm not even old enough to gamble..." she mumbled.

A weird silence settled between them as Keith was once again reminded of their biggest obstacle. He fought against his morals every time he saw her— every time he heard her voice. Their age shouldn't matter but somehow, it did. It would always matter.

"You don't have to gamble. There are enough shows and concerts that you won't even notice the countless casinos." He took on her hands in his. "It'll just be a few days."

Janessa thought about that. It wouldn't hurt to get away and clear her mind. Being far away from Reese and everyone sounded like a really good idea.

"Sure, when do we leave?"

"Does tomorrow evening sound good?" He reached over and cupped her cheek.

"I can't believe I'm going to Vegas!" She squealed a little before realizing what she was doing. "I mean, yeah tomorrow should be good." She pushed herself over the console to plant a loud kiss on his cheek.

"Is that a preview of what I'll be getting on this trip?" He teased and Janessa liked this side of him.

"If you play your cards right," she grinned. "Get it? Play your cards?— oh come on, that was punny!"

_________________________________

Janessa drummed her fingers on the counter top as she waited for the receptionist to return. It had been half an hour now that she was waiting and she could hear the hushed arguments just a few doors down.

After spending a few hours talking with Keith, he drove her home before heading home himself and surprisingly she didn't have a problem with that. She had enjoyed their little talk because it was a different side of themselves and they didn't argue for once.

Then, suddenly, the image of Kimmy popped into her brain and she had to force herself to not overreact. She had to tell herself that it wasn't a problem—not for right now anyway. Janessa was having fun and she knew there was something between Keith and her; she felt it deep within her bones like she knew he felt it too.

The problem of Kimmy will arise but she figured it could slide for right now. After all, she was technically still with Henry.

"Miss O'Connor, what brings you here?" Dr. Oliver greeted her with a strained smile and a timid receptionist behind him who looked as if she had just gotten reprimanded.

"I thought I could ask you just a few more questions, if you don't mind."

"Actually, I do mind. I have a very busy day today and have no time. I'm sorry you wasted your time." He firmly told her before walking away.