Deadly Temptation (1)

"You saw him?" Priscilla gaped at Janessa. 

It was time for breakfast and they sat around the table while Priscilla dished out some scrambled eggs onto her plate. Janessa sipped on her orange juice as she gathered her thoughts. She didn't mean to tell Priscilla about it but she couldn't keep it to herself; it was too much on her already worn out brain. 

"I had to."

"This is the part where I'd say you're stupid but I know better." She squeezed her shoulder affectionately. "I know there must be a good reason."

Janessa wished there was one. After seeing Reese the other day, her mind was complete mush. She kept replaying every scene she ever had with him over and over again— trying to see if she missed a sign earlier on. He seemed like a regular guy; he was a surfer, he was loving, understanding and most of all he was always there for her when she needed him. 

Maybe she was too wrapped up in problems to even realise anything. Especially when she couldn't fathom just how Jennifer got pregnant for him... or the fact that she was now gone. 

As if sensing her turmoil, Priscilla quickly changed the subject. "I got a script for you to read." 

"I was thinking of taking a break from this movie thing." She played with the hem of her napkin. 

"Are you sure?"

"I don't know." Janessa sighed. "These past few months have been a good distraction but that's all it was. I wasn't in the right frame of mind to interact with people." 

"I know sweetheart, I'm so sorry if I pushed you." Priscilla sat across from her. "We can take a break as long as you want." 

Janessa thought about for a minute. Did she really want to stop acting? 

It was definitely fun but she wasn't sure if she was Hollywood material...

"I'll read the script." She told her while offering a small smile. "I'm bored anyways." 

___________________

"Romance?" She quirked an eyebrow. 

"Yes, what's wrong?"

"I don't think romance is my strong suit right now."

"Ah, but that's where this acting thing gets hard. This is your chance to show your skills." 

Janessa scoffed. "I was successful in a teen drama— by luck. Not by skills or any other crap." 

"Let's just go to this audition and see how it goes, okay?" Priscilla tried to comfort her. 

She nodded as they packed up their papers and set off for the garage.  "Um, have you heard from Keith?" 

Priscilla sighed. "Last I heard, he was married to his job— like your father once was but I haven't heard from him. He postponed the wedding until he said when." She shrugged. 

That made sense, Janessa thought. He was now in charge of his relationship with Kimmy and she was forced to sit and take it because clearly, she couldn't do better. The man she really wanted was locked away until the judge deemed him fit to return to the normal world. 

Janessa still remembered every word they exchanged the other day. She remembered every look and smirk Reese gave her. It was now utterly creepy... the way his eyes trailed her body. 

She shivered before replying to Priscilla. "He refuses to talk to me and I don't know why." 

"Give him some time. He'll come around."