Deadly Temptation (27)

Hunched over a cup of coffee, Marshall groaned as he rubbed his temples. He couldn't remember anything last night. All he could recall was having a few bottles of beer and as soon as he opened the whiskey, everything was a blur after that—like most nights.

But now, as Janessa and Keith sat across from him in the 24-hour diner just down the street from his office, he couldn't believe just what the hell they were telling him. It didn't make any sense.

"Marshall, say something."

He exhaled and took another sip to ease the headache. "She used to work here," he mumbled. "Used to serve me coffee every morning for months before I asked for her number."

"I'm so sorry," Janessa told him.

"I would do anything for my wife... but I wouldn't take my own life. Not when I can still help people." He looked up at them. "Tonight was my lowest point and I don't even remember a damn thing." He chuckled.

"Your wife would never ask you to do that. If she's anything like what you've told me, she would want you to make the best of your situation," Keith said to him.

"She'd probably kick my ass right now," He chuckled again. "But you don't have to worry about me... what is it you wanted to tell me?"

"It doesn't matter right now. You are what matters," Janessa tried to tell him. Her situation was on hold as she tried to be there for him.

"This is my job. Let me do my job," he placed his hand on top of hers on the table. "I hate talking about myself anyway,"

She took a deep breath. "Dr. Oliver is Reese's father and I think also Luke but I still don't know how Stanley Douglas comes into this."

"Have you tired getting in touch with Luke? I know you guys were good friends."

"No answer and my friend Lily is with him so now I'm worried sick."

"Have you tried Barry? He's always with your friend."

Janessa immediately searched for her phone, feeling stupid for not thinking of that earlier. She called his number and it rang a few times before he answered.

"Barry! Thank God, are you with Lily?"

His sleepy voice filled her ear. "Not right now. We were out with Luke for a while before I called it a night. You really did a number on him."

She groaned. "Do you know where they are?"

"No, I left them at the bar but I'll call him and let him know you're looking for him."

"Please do so."

After she hung up, the three of them walked to Marshall's office where he could dig up whatever information he had on Reese. Janessa flipped through the folders Marshall had put together and shook her head once she found nothing.

"Ivy never mentioned a third son." She mumbled. "So how the hell does Luke fit into this?"

"Maybe the answer doesn't lie with Ivy," Marshall pondered as he typed away on his computer. "Maybe we've been looking in the wrong place this entire time."

"What do you mean?"

"Dr. Oliver went through a great deal to keep his name from any records with Ivy... but what if she had learned from him? What if that's not even his real name?"

"How would we know that?"

"Give me a second," he said while still typing away.

Keith sat in the corner with a drink in his hand, looking on the scene before him. He had thought that they made a promise to drop their revenge fantasies and start over. A few hours of passion he shared with Janessa hours ago now felt like years ago. He wasn't sure how he felt about the situation but he knew he didn't like it at all. Something was going to happen. He could feel it.