Deadly Temptation (32)

"Uh, hey... you're awake," Keith awkwardly said while slowly entering the room. "I, uh, brought these for you..." he handed her the bouquet of roses.

"Thank you, Keith," Janessa accepted them with a warm smile. "I'm sorry for earlier. I should have listened."

Keith looked back and forth between Janessa and her mother before clearing his throat to address her. "Rachael, good to see you again," he nodded at her before turning his attention to Janessa, "and yes, you should have listened... so listen next time okay?"

"I promise," she said as her lips were itching to kiss him.

"From what I've heard, you're my daughter's hero... so thank you, Keith," Rachael stood with the intention to shake his hand.

"It's really no problem. I actually wanted to speak to you and James about something," He looked over to Janessa.

"Well, James should be here soon." Rachael slightly smirked, making Janessa wonder just what her mother was up to.

Just as she was about to confront her mother, the door opened and James entered with Marshall right behind him. Marshall greeted everyone then gave Janessa a hug before pulling up a chair.

"I come bearing good news. I just came from questioning both boys back at the station. Stanley refused to talk but Reese—or Luke, as he likes to call himself, said he'd cooperate if I did one thing for him."

Narrowing her eyes, Janessa dreaded what was coming next. "What thing?" She said through clenched teeth.

"Basically beg for your forgiveness."

"No." She instantly said to him.

"Just hear me out, okay? The guy already talked so I'm just doing this out of courtesy. That nurse, Jenna Lorde?... was one of Stanley's playthings. Luke told us she was the one that pushed Priscilla down the stairs. He told us where she lives and police officers are on their way right now to arrest her."

"How do you know it's the truth?" Janessa straightened in the hospital bed. "They lie. That's what they do!"

"You should have seen the kid, Janessa. He spilled everything because I promised him that I'd talk to you and tell you that he's sorry." Marshall searched her face for any emotion.

Sure, those two brothers hurt and played with her but the look on Luke's face was enough to get Marshall. The kid looked pitiful and heartbroken— for what? Marshall didn't know but it was obvious that it was linked to Janessa.

"Why me? Why is it always me?" Her voice started to escalate.

"Maybe you should ask him yourself. They'll be at the precinct until trial—and I suggest you testify this time." Marshall patted her on her knee before nodding to everyone and leaving the room.

"Let's give her a moment," Rachael said while ushering both James and Keith out.

______________________

After being released from the hospital, Janessa was holed up in her room for days— deep in thought about Stanley and Luke. She wasn't sure if visiting them was a smart thing to do or not.

—but she had questions... against her better judgment. She needed answers.

Calling a cab, she made her way down to the police station where Marshall greeted her before escorting her to the jail cells. Janessa had to take deep breaths while walking down the corridor. How many times must she endure this?

How many times must she be victimized and manipulated?

"I won't be too far away from you. Just stand a good six feet away from the bars and Stanley won't be able to get to you." Marshall told her.