Disgraced Nation

Breakfast went on without incident, and as soon as it was over the states went with their mother to the library, leaving behind the quiet nations. Once more, throughout breakfast, they were silent, speaking not even to each other. Even still, they avoided England.

Speaking of England, the man's green eyes were a lifeless forest green, and, to those who didn't know what he had done, they would pity him, if the nations weren't doing so already.

Wanting to get away from him, the nations immediately left the dining room to do their own thing, leaving England there by himself and to his own thoughts.

He didn't care.

England kept thinking back to America's cold words. You know nothing of parenting, much less how to properly care for someone. No wonder your brothers hate you.

England wanted so bad to deny her words, that he had taken her in out of the goodness of his heart and looked after her as best he could, only to be repaid with no gratitude and repulsion, but he knew she was right, and that he had been lying to himself all this time just to make himself not seem like the bad guy.

He did drive America away. He did abandon America for long periods of time, and he never watched her grow up, if her being able to hide her gender for so long was anything to go by. And, worst of all, he did treat America like an object, something that didn't have feelings or thoughts.

And now look at where that's got him.

"I just wanted to be someone you could forever look up to," England whispered to himself, heartbroken. "I just wanted to be your protector."

But even he knew that her protector was the last thing he was to her. He had left her vulnerable to the many terrors of the real world, and he never stopped his own soldiers from killing the five colonists in Boston. He was the one who hurt her and her children during the burning of Washington, he was the one who mistreated his own brothers, his own flesh and blood.

Ireland never speaks to England on friendly terms, and it would take an idiot to not know why. England, like many of his people during the late 1700's and 1800's, saw the Irish as animals and therefore treated them as such, not caring if they starved or that their children were dying too early.

And Jonathan Swift's satire opened England's eyes, but even then he refused to take responsibility for what he'd done. And since then, many of the Irish hated the British with every ounce of their being, and Ireland was no different with his brother, treating him like he was lower than scum, which he may have been for all he knew.

Wales hated how England ruled over him like a tyrant, treating him like a child when he was a full-grown man who wanted to take care of himself. Therefore, he always avoided his brother like he was the plague, and even refused to speak with him on civil terms.

Scotland and England always argued over the smallest of subjects, and the ones who always started those fights were England himself. So, it wasn't a big surprise that Scotland flat-out told England that he didn't want him as a brother anymore, that he didn't deserve to be loved.

Once more, America's words returned to him. It's ironic that you want to be loved, but when love looks you right in the face, you throw it away like trash.

He threw his brothers' love away like trash, but, worst of all, he threw America's love away and, from the looks of it, his own children's. England admits that he has nothing else to argue about that, for once in his life.

America didn't care about him, his children wanted nothing to do with him, his own brothers scorned his existence, and the nations often wished that he would disappear.

His mother was right. He was a disgrace, and he couldn't argue against that at all.

For those of you who don't know what a satire is, it's where you're basically making fun of someone or something, which is what Jonathan Swift does in his satire "A Modest Proposal". It was written during the Irish Potato Famine, and he's making fun of the British for allowing the Irish to starve, but at the same time he makes fun of the Irish for their cultural beliefs and they're having too many children.