Chapter 2 - Just for You

"I think it will be better if you two talked about this first," Desmond suggested, scratching the back of his neck. That was a sign of his irritation, of course. Apparently, my husband had pissed him off big time by telling him to mind his own business. I knew that Silas was rude sometimes but I wasn't really sure about impolite. Right now, I had been scuffing my palms to prevent something unfortunate. My palms could be twitching to redden the surface of his cheeks but I couldn't actually let it happen. I respected him enough not to hit him again.

Last time I hit him...

"I think he's right," Silas erupted, halting my thoughts, glaring at me.

Desmond turned to nod at me before walking outside the room, giving us our privacy. Watching his retreating back I let out a sigh. I had to make Silas understand.

"Dawn..."

"What were you thinking?" I snapped, crossing my arms defensively.

"What were you thinking? You told me that you were in trouble. I would be more than happy to help you if you meant yourself and not me, Dawn," he finished and then looked away, his entwined hands resting on the middle of the table between us. I wanted this distance to fade away. I wanted to trick him to understand what I wanted. I could be manipulative but I just didn't know what to say anymore.

"You don't understand, do you?" I shook my head, staring at him in disbelief. But when he remained silent, I took his hands in mine, keeping them there and smiling when he didn't jerk them away. I chose to continue, "I want a life with you, Silas. I want a future. You just can't leave me like this. I know you didn't murder Adam McKellen. Then why would I let you rot in here? What if you receive a death sentence?"

"Well, they'll give me what I deserve. I am a murderer. I always have been. I killed my parents. Killing an employee is no big deal, Dawn." His answer was curt, his voice as calm as a night in Newburgh near Hudson. How dare he!

"I don't care," I smiled. His head shot up, green eyes squinting. Two could play at that game.

"Why are you still here?" His eyes were closed now as if he was in pain. I wanted to trap him with the guilt of leaving me behind. That could work.

"I said that I don't care what you did," I smiled again.

"What we had is over, Dawn. You don't have to do this anymore. You're free to go."

"So you want to know why I'm still here?" For a moment, my smile slipped away, revealing what's underneath that mask. He just stared as I continued, "Becuase I love you and I know you love me too."

"This isn't a movie, Dawn," he murmured as if warning me. Leaning in, he continued, "Once you get out of here, you'll know how much mistaken you are right now. It's your imagination. I don't love you. There might have been something between us. But when I fucked you, it ended. I guess you don't fascinate me anymore."

"You don't mean that." I shook my head, my lips trembling.

"Well, I have news then. I mean it," he ended with a brief and tart smile. Gritting my teeth together, I helped myself to not hit him. When I closed my eyes, a barely audible chuckle reached me. How could he be so cold?

Looking up at him, I blinked twice and then spoke, "If you don't love me now, no one ever will."

"Dawn..." For a while, the frigid light in his eyes had disappeared and then he squeezed his eyes shut. Shaking his head, he muttered, "Why do you affect me so much?"

A tear rolled down my cheek at his words. Looking down, I noticed that he still hadn't retrieved his hands to himself. But when I tried to remove my hands from his, he squeezed them.