Chapter 48 - Waltz with the Devil - Part i

I am in the bureau, against my better judgment.

Agent Hart was the one who arranged for me to see Megan. It doesn't make sense at times.

Was Megan that much fond of him not to rat him out when she got caught? Or is there something I am not seeing?

Everything has its answer but the thing is Megan's behind the bars. That's all that matters.

The room I'm in is tiny, sealed with soundproof glass walls. I sit in the middle of it, behind a desk, aware of the mirror to my right. I have a strong feeling that's a window from the other side.

"Dawn Riviera, we meet again."

I had almost forgotten how poisonous of a beauty she is. She's smiling as she enters the room as if seeing an old friend, her hands cuffed (I bet she can get rid of those handcuffs in seconds), clad in an orange jumpsuit. She doesn't look like a prisoner from the glow on her face.

As she sits across from me, blowing a strand of her natural brown hair from her face, I notice how innocent she still looks.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of having you here, Dawn?"

Now her smile is arrogant as though telling me 'you lose'.

"You have been asking for a meeting for years." I keep my face impassive, my jaws tightening against my will.

"I just wanted to know how you did it." She points her chin casually towards the handcuffs around her wrist. "I've always been one step ahead. But you caught up with me and I admire that." Pause. "That's not why you're here. What made you grant my wish after all these years, Dawn?"

"Why did you set a fire in my house?" I cut to the chase, my voice calm but I can feel the hostility through my veins. How she did it -- I don't want to know. Nonetheless, I have tightened the house's security, installed a few upgrades.

"Oh." She hasn't been expecting this. "It's just... silly games, I admit." She almost looks disoriented. "Heard your son looks exactly like Silas."

When I say nothing to that, she mutters, "You know what, I used to envy you a lot. But now, I only pity you. You had always been so naive, an object the Dale brothers played with and they still do. They fooled you from the start and you let them."

It's almost strange to see how much her choice of words has changed. Although I am convinced, she's not capable of redemption.

"You have problems with the brothers, not me. Leave me and my son alone. Silas is dead. Get over it, Megan." I shake my head like a disapproving parent giving a satisfying scold. "Don't you get bored playing these games?"

Her blue eyes, wide and pretty, stay on me and for a while, it's unnerving. I wonder what she sees but I recognize a hint of sympathy in her eyes. It's disgusting.

"Before you tell me that, look around, Dawn. I'm not the only one playing games."

With that, she flicks her unplucked eyebrows to the officer outside the room who walks in immediately.

'You can stop by sometimes, Dawn. I won't mind," she smiles before she stands.

I can't tell if she's fucking with me.