Chapter 33 - And I Fired

"Even when the mist fogs up our sight still there is a way out."

― Victor Bello Accioly

I stood with my eyes squinting at my husband in the light of day.

We were in a parking lot of a restaurant twenty minutes away from the Villa we spent the night in. We needed a car, something nondescript. I stood, looking around to see if anyone had seen us. Silas stood, perhaps succeeding in stealing a car.

What was his excuse?

He wasn't going to earn any currency out of this and the owner would find it unharmed once he would ditch the car. How novel!

"Well, at least it's better than the gun technique, right?" My husband flashed his teeth at me and I glared at him in response.

"So, where are we going?" I asked once we had settled inside. He played with the battery wires in the steering column, more precisely hotwiring, something beyond my understanding.

"Florence," he responded, slamming down the accelerator. The engine roared to life.

"Where in Florence?" I tried to hide my amusement.

"You'll see."

It would've been nice if we were on a trip and this was a surprise. But we weren't on a trip, we were on a run, a path to survive.

I stared out, liking the rural environment. The air wasn't chilly now but it whistled in my ears and flowed my hair into an infernal mess. Silas drove down the lone country roads, silently, his lips pressed into a firm line. I wanted to touch him, play with his unruly hair and run my fingers down his skin to return the warmth he was losing in the roaring wind. I rubbed my arms, feeling a chill.

A shiny blue car passed us by, the only car in a while. This felt like a level of 'Need for Speed' in a way and I smiled at that thought. The next time I'd be in Italy, I'd be on a vacation. This, I promised myself.

"I did something," Silas said once we had passed more than an hour in silence. It made me feel guilty to open my mouth. That silence was good and for a long while, I liked that my husband respected me enough to leave me to my own thoughts.

I whispered to grasp onto our silence, "What?"

"You remember going to Paris? The ticket thing?"

"Yes." I knitted my eyebrows together.

"I might have done it already without telling you." He shot me an edgy look, light catching the green of his eyes, lightening them up drastically. I sighed at the sight.

"When? We were together all the time." I crossed my legs together, my jeans sliding down a little at the waist.

"The station by the restaurant," he responded fast. "From San Paolo... I bought two tickets to Ostia. Since we weren't able to go to the airport..."

"Oh." I looked away, my eyes at the sign ahead of us. There was a bold '2' printed on a whiteboard. Below it, in a blue background, written in white was SP30/b. The feeling of slipping into this narrow road from the highway was odd. "At least, we will be able to mislead them."

He looked at me and I did the same, both of us sharing smiles.

"Can I drive?" I asked him.

"You don't have to." He didn't look at me this time.

"Aren't you tired?"

"Nope."

"Silas?"

He sighed now, shaking his head at the rearview mirror, giving up. "Fine. There should be a gas station ahead in half an hour. We need to refill. Then you'll drive."