Chapter 40 - Someday You'll Understand

Pregnancy wasn't pleasant. There was a suggested daily diet which prevented me from having my weekly share of fast food. Drinking was out of the question, of course. I was forced to sleep almost eight hours. Most of the time I stayed home and typed out some short stories related to my first work. It was a tiring phase, always being sick and suddenly fat. I would wake Eamon with the sound of me puking sometimes. According to my ob/gyn, the morning sickness should stop in the next trimester. Winter had come and gone like that. Now in the mid-February, I would find myself not being able to move a muscle sometimes.

I lay beneath my comforter this morning, the light breeze sweeping in through the open balcony door, making me sigh. My immediate thought was that I was late for the Sunday brunch in the Plaza. As crazy as it sounded, Adrian was the one who'd escort me. Yes, we had somewhat bonded over the Winter, only slightly. He was still the man who stayed quiet when he definitely shouldn't have. Right now, my best hope was Adrian would wake up late and feel sorry that we missed the brunch.

I never hated social gatherings but I was never pregnant too. My stomach flipped at that thought, something sickening rising in my throat. This was it. Next thing I knew I was kneeling before the toilet, retching, and coughing.

A strand of hair fell forward, blocking my view at the third round, causing me to frown in obvious disgust. Then I felt hair move behind my ear, warmth emanating from the tips of fingers and a voice said from overhead, "Go on, Dawn."

I listened to Adrian, continuing, my body jerking pitifully. Without his help, I was unable to push myself onto my feet. Splashing water on my face, I let my eyes met his through the mirror. He stood there in his casual jeans and polo shirt, concerned.

"I'll let you get ready," he said before hastening out through the door.

I nodded absentmindedly and did just that.

The Spring morning sun shone confidently overhead, the biting wind was only comforting now. My throat didn't feel as dry as it was in the house. Adrian stole brief glances at me while he drove his G wagon; embarrassment rose within me at the fact that he was always finding me in ridiculous situations. Silently, I looked away towards the river.

"Are you okay?"

"I think so," I sighed. "Thanks for... well..."

"Don't mention it," said Adrian. He was smiling, reminding me of how he had been in the catamaran when he held my hand to help me up to the upper deck, how good he was to me that night, how he offered me his jacket when I was cold.

"I shouldn't have dragged you out. But Silas said that you should breathe a little."

I didn't like the idea of Silas telling Adrian to take care of me; there had been times he had told me to get out of the visiting room for they had private things to talk about. Not that I was jealous. I respected their privacy. But Silas of all people should know that it was like offering a moth a flame.

"Silas says a lot of things these days, doesn't he?" I rolled my eyes.

"He's just worried."

I sighed. That was true. But my parents, June and Jared, Keira, Wayne, and Eamon were always running around, trying to make me feel better. I didn't need Adrian to babysit me.

"Do you think you're up for a visit to the MCC after the brunch?" asked Adrian, startling me.

"Huh? Yeah, sure."

We reached the plaza twenty minutes later, awkward. It was the usual hall, all marble pillars, tiers of posh gourmet foods, white tablecloths, snotty nosed women walking around with serving trays, a string quartet playing in the corner. Keira had abandoned her seat to see me shrugging my jacket off and came forward, her small nose glowing and her now-long maroon hair flowing gently behind her.