Chapter 3 - Just Happy

The next morning I had woken up to a nightmare. It didn't perturb me whatsoever. After all, I was living in a nightmare. I had helped myself to some breakfast after Eamon, Keira, and June's genuine request. Afterward, they could finally say adieu.

As I took a step towards the tile of my bathroom, my phone rang from the ottoman behind me. Turning around, I took the liberty of leaving my towel to pick the phone up. Struggling to get the towel around myself again, I breathed out, "Hello?"

"Dawn... are you okay?" Desmond's professional voice had clouded with concern.

"I'm fine. Are you and Day there already?" I managed, drumming my fingers on the brown leather of the ottoman.

"No, I am still at my office. Day is most probably there. His phone is switched off. So I just assumed. I called you to know if you were there. I suppose you're not."

"No, I am not," I sighed, my eyes fixed on the dark wooden marble of the floor. Twisting a stray hair, I suggested, "Why don't you call me when you get there?"

"Well, I won't make it now. Gotta run some errands." With that, he hung up, giving me the opportunity to hasten with my task. Once settled inside an olive sweater and simple dark jeans, I got on my feet, letting Wayne whisk me to the bureau. 

An hour later, I was crossing the pearl street, leaving the car behind with a trail of vehicles sitting on the road. I'd say luck had a little to do with the face I was greeted with as I faced the door to the correctional center. 

His blue eyes gleamed at my sight, a visible smirk tugging at his lips as he prowled towards me with his hands in the pockets of his dress jacket. In this early morning, he had managed to look as fresh as a daisy in his navy suit.

"Dawn," he spoke, tilting his head to a side and smiling in absolute serenity. Scratching on my itching palm, I raised both eyebrows at him and pursed my lips.

"How is it that we never fail to run into each other? See even the Gods are with us." He leaned forward, his voice soft and slow enough for to be barely audible.

"Every time we run into each other, why is that I feel like throwing..." I trailed off and pointed at my white chucks with my chin. "...this at you?"

He let out a chuckle, surprisingly startled at my comment. But somehow he had managed to stay cool and calm. Gradually, he sighed, "I'll eagerly wait for it and since we're gonna be working from closer, I guess I may have the chance to see your audacity. Actually, you know what, this is what makes you sexy."

"Watch your mouth," I warned with a roll of my eyes. "You know what, screw you. I have better things to do now."

Passing him by, I felt the urge to ask what he meant by working from closer but dignity needed to be saved. So, with my head high, I entered the building.

This morning Silas wasn't rude when I approached him in the visiting room. He looked worn out with his unkempt hair and stubble while he sat talking with a man in a suit. 

"Hello?" I stood awkwardly when I interrupted them. Silas was the first to turn. It was unnerving how the green of his eyes always overwhelmed me. Offering him a small smile, I earned one from him as well.

"Sam, this is my wife, Dawn," he introduced me as I sat across from him. Samuel Day, the man in the suit, turned towards me with a smile that would be charming if he wasn't in his official attire. He seemed as young as Silas with his golden hair sleeked back impeccably.

"Mrs. Dale, we finally meet." He seemed pleased with himself when his turquoise eyes fell on me. Holding out a pale hand, he shook my hand.

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Day," I smiled as I took my hand back to myself.