Chapter 20 - Back to the City

Around 4 o'clock in the morning on June 4, 2017, a group of people had broke in 656 River Rd, Newburgh, NY 12550

Around 4 o'clock in the morning on June 4, 2017, a group of people had broke in 656 River Rd, Newburgh, NY 12550. In burst a group of men with their guns drawn. They grabbed a surprised 24-year-old Dawn Dale (née Riviera), injured her, threw her in their car and drove off.

Thus began one of the strangest cases in FBI history.

Last year, Silas Dale had been charged with a case of drug-trafficking and after his last cross-examination, he broke out of the prison. While he was missing, his wife was kidnapped from her own study in their house.

After the NYPD misinterpreted some evidence about the case, Dawn's parents hired their own private detectives to help find Dawn. It has been mentioned before that there were signs of struggles visible in the study. According to the forensics, Dawn had lost a large amount of blood during she...

Everything was old now. They had been repeating the whole damn thing over and over again like a broken tape recorder. I, however, liked to read all the articles about myself, to see things that weren't planned by me. Some things were beyond me, I knew. I must have laid a path of lies and got away with that but whoever would fall on the right track would drag me down.

"Hey. Where have you been the whole evening?" Silas stood at the threshold, holding a washcloth in his hand, wiping, his tee-shirt gathered around the neck.

"I went for a dip." I blinked a couple of times, watching him stroll into the terrace as he pulled the tee-shirt down.

Stealing a chaste kiss from me, he climbed on the sofa, speaking, "I hope it was refreshing." He rolled his eyes for a dramatic effect. "Without me."

"Here we go." I giggled, the tab on my lap slipping down on the sofa when he leaned over to kiss me on the neck, his lips wet, tongue wanting.

"What are you reading?" He breathed.

I showed him the screen. He seemed fascinated as he stared at one of the conspiracy theories.

"I swear to God, in a few days they are going to say you joined the Illuminati." Although his voice was dead serious, his eyes were playful. He made a face when I grinned.

"Seriously though. What you did was extraordinary. But the more discreet everything is, the safer you are, Dawn." He sighed into my neck. "I am just worried."

I scratched on my jeans, just below my right knee, absentmindedly, frowning at the tightening there.

"What? You okay?" Silas traced my eyebrows with his thumb.

"Hmm. Yeah. Just distracted." I offered him a small guilty smile. "You don't have to worry, you know. We'll be just cases once they have new things to worry about."

"I hope you're right," he said with a smile but it didn't reach his eyes.

Sometimes, I just wondered what my husband was thinking.