Chapter 10 - Possibilities till the End

It was a chilly night.

I stood there at the balcony, a silky robe straining on my naked skin underneath, the sapphire Silas had given me hanging between my breasts.

An illuminated skyline in the distance was visible. It wasn't the Hudson River I saw from here. Among domes and buildings, something significantly beautiful caught my eyes. It was a fortress, a 94 meter tower that swelled near the top, erecting outward.

It was Palazzo Vecchio, an unique monument in Florence. When I turned, Silas was sleeping in the king size bed, his unruly curls pooling at the soft white pillow, his tanned skin glowing between the sheets. I stood there in the balcony watching him, smiling, wishing I kept dreaming, wishing that I never woke up from this dream.

A loud thud of thunder made me gasp. Looking up, I observed grey clouds rushing in to cover the black sky. In a while, the downpour started, the silky robe sticking to my skin in the process. I made my way towards the suite, closed the ceiling to floor door and turned on my feet.

The bed was empty with blood scattered on the sheets. He was gone, so was the sapphire around my neck.

I was drenched in sweat when my eyes opened into the morning light. I loathed my dreams amd my dreams had always been nightmares— a sober forecast.

I took a steadying breath and reached for my shorts, trying to slap the image of blood away. It was over nine in the morning, a time that violated my sleeping schedule. I had slept through my alarm.

Angrily pulling my hair up into a bun, I went downstairs, straight into the kitchen & reached for the Gaggia. But it was already switched on, half-filled with black coffee. If it was Eamon, she would've done it with steamed milk, just how I liked it.

"Good morning, sunshine," said a charming voice from across the room, startling me.

Adrian sat on one of the upholstered chairs by the posh dining table, his blue eyes luminous contrasted to the river view from the bay window behind him.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" My eyes widened at the sight of him, dressed impeccably in a suit, ankles crossed, sipping on his coffee as he smirked, thoroughly enjoying the show.

"Nice shorts." His eyebrows flicked and suddenly I felt naked as if he was undressing me with his eyes.

"How did you get in?" I walked behind the counter to hide what was below my waist. He only shrugged, with a small pout of his lips. Bastard.

"Do you know you're trespassing?" I frowned.

"It's my brother's house. Why would it count as trespassing?" His smirk held mirth.

"Because you're not invited. Leave, now or else I'll call the security." I stared, impassive, with my head high. He merely smiled before standing up. His feet came to a halt when he finally reached the counter right across from me.

"I came here to talk," he finally said, placing the half-empty coffee mug on the marble. "And before you overreact what you are an ace at doing, you should know that it's about my brother. The trial won't go well, Dawn."

Although, his words were alarming, his tone had no derision in it.

"Are you trying to threaten me?" I tilted my head with a small smile.

He shook his head. "I'm simply saying what the truth is."

"Are you bribing the judge, the lawyer? What are you going to do, Adrian? Are you going to show them the tape?"

He looked somewhat hurt at my choice of words, a fleeting expression that surprised me. Finally, he spoke, "No matter how cruel I am, he'll always be my brother, Dawn. We come from the same mother."

His grave expression seemed so surreal. I couldn't help snorting, "Says the brother who always wanted his younger brother miserable."

"You know nothing about us, Dawn," he muttered.

Surreal as it was, it was strange too. For the first time, it looked as though I had touched a nerve. I remembered Silas's words. He and I, we were inseparable. He was... amazing.

And it occurred to me that perhaps Adrian felt guilty. Then the thought disappeared in a split second. Of course, he wasn't. He was a man, lacking morals and conscience. I didn't expect any of those from him.

"So what are you trying to say? What do you want me to do?" I rose both of my eyebrows and waited.

"Silas has to run."

"He isn't a coward, Adrian. He will be there in the courtroom even if the trial doesn't go well. And if it doesn't, it's completely upto him whether he runs or not." I squinted at him, my lips pressing into a thin line.

"You're saying that if he runs like the selfish he is, you won't even have a say on it?" The mockery in his tone was so vivid that it made me want to throw him out of the window and into the Hudson.

"I respect his judgment, Adrian. He isn't my property. Nobody makes his decisions for him."

He stared with a smile and then finally added, "It was good catching up. I'll see you tomorrow at the trial, Dawn. Best of luck."

I gave him a curt nod and watched as he walked out of the kitchen.

Fucking moron.

The third sketch was of the sapphire. How coincidental! I recognized my lips and jaw on the paper. He had displayed a delicate neckline, showcasing the necklace, as always making me look incredible.

"What is this? Another clue?" I held the sketch up to emphasize.

"Whatever you think," he shrugged.

I narrowed my eyes at him and scrutinized. He was freshly-shaved, his hair trimmed shorter than the last time and he looked as fresh as a daisy.

Pressing my thighs together at some inappropriate thoughts, I stuffed the paper inside my briefcase.

"I talked to Adrian this morning."

When I turned, he was looking at me expectantly.

"He came to see me," I added.

"At home?" His eyebrows knitted.

"Yes." I half-expected him to react but he stayed mute. Thus, I continued, "He said that you'll have to run. The trial won't go well. He's just bluffing, Silas. Desmond never lost a case in his life. He wouldn't want a mark on his remarkable reputation."

"Well, everything has a first, Dawn," he sighed, his green eyes bleak and suddenly tired.

"You're going to be there, right? We're going to fight till the end." I took his hand in mine and squeezed.

"Yes." He offered me a sanguine smile. Then, he leaned forward. "What if... hypothetically speaking, if I have to run, will you really come find me?"

I didn't like the question. But I answered the truth anyway.

"Always."