Chapter 12 - Seeking Answers

After a thorough search of the house, the cops left, more precisely Agent Osbourne, a determined man. Osbourne, in his forties, had a straight posture, all six feet of him made his boring personality more superior. From his thin receding hair, it looked as though he had been attractive once.

Now, I respected Agent Osbourne and his proficiency. But he fucking knew my husband wasn't a criminal. He saw all the evidence before they were turned into something irrelevant.

It was 5 in the morning when I slipped into Silas's study, focused. The early light of dawn flooding in lit the room dimly. Deciding against hurting my eyes with lights, I walked past the desk and towards his stash of paintings. More than a hundred of paintings later, I had nothing significant as a clue. All of them were too old to be a clue.

Next morning, Silas had made headlines. A picture of him in that suit, with the cops, getting behind the car stayed above an article.

Last year, at the end of the August, the Chief Executive of Dale Enterprises Silas Dale was arrested for murdering an employee and drug trafficking from his own factory. Throughout the whole procedure, it had been proven that he didn't commit the murder. The murder case remained mute ever since because of the lack of evidence.

However, yesterday in his last trial, it was proved that he was indeed responsible for the drugs found in his factory. He had sentenced to 18 years jail by the court along with a fine of $5 million.

I didn't read the rest. I knew they would end up saying how obnoxiously obvious it was now that he broke out of the prison. To me, all of this was ridiculous. So many things didn't add up. How would he even flee from that kind of security? I knew Silas was smart but exactly how much in a scale of 1 to 10?

It bothered me knowing he had left clues for me to find him. Clues which were difficult to find. I didn't want to underestimate myself saying that I was not intelligent enough to succeed. But it was true now that I thought more about this.

What was he thinking? Who was he at that moment?

He was certainly more than just a sophisticated businessman with a love for art. He had definite skills and a master plan for sure. Let's just say he knew he was doing and everything was going just according to his plan except that his wife couldn't find any of the hints.

Next morning, Osbourne introduced another agent from the white collar division to us at my parents' house where he executed another search. Besides, the feds wanted to interrogate my parents, more like irritate them.

This new agent, Carl Hart was an attractive man with dark silk-like skin. He seemed easier than Osbourne at this situation since he asked most of the questions, his blue eyes kind and striking as he went. I wondered if he had gone through situations like this before. Leaning forward, Agent Hart asked me, "How long have you been married to Mr Dale?"

"Eight months," I responded and he looked somewhat surprised at my answer.

"He spent 5 months in the correctional centre, right?" He took out a fresh white handkerchief and wiped the skin behind his ear, just below his trimmed afro haircut.

"Yes."

Mom was on a call, although it looked like she was arguing with someone. She looked flustered, her blue eyes grim. Hart asked me if I'd seen anything strange in my neighbourhood since last night. Two more detectives were looking around. A pallid man, with surprisingly healthy figure and a short blond woman who looked like she had gotten a lip injection.

Finally, when they left, I found myself sitting on the purple velvet of the divan, resting beside the sofa. Mom took a break from animatedly talking on her phone to point her finger at the kitchen and whisper, "We have some unopened dry-fruits from the Christmas if you want, sweetheart. You look like you haven't eaten anything." Then she continued to argue with whoever was on the other side of the phone.