Chapter 24 - Heart out of my Chest

I awoke to soft sheets and strong arms around me

I awoke to soft sheets and strong arms around me. My eyes were still shut when I bathed myself in the trickling sunlight making its way through the balcony. My eyelashes faintly batted on my cheeks as I blinked at Silas who had his head nestled into the crook of my neck, his one hand secured around one of my breasts under my silk top.

Momentarily, the memories of last night slipped away and resurfaced.

He had his reasons.

As I thought of stretching out, I couldn't bring myself to wake him up. He wasn't even in bed at 3. He must have been tired when he came. But I had to go the cafe and there was no way in hell, I could disentangle myself from him if he kept on sleeping.

"Silas," I whispered to his hair, without any choice.

He didn't respond.

"Honey?"

He stirred; erection first and then the man. I suppressed my all too familiar giggle. 

"Can you move your arm please?"

"Mmm?" He squinted up at me, disapproving. "No."

"Silas, I have to go to work." I splayed a hand on the top of his arm, trying to push him away. But his skin managed to slip away. The bastard was enjoying it.

"It's not official yet," he murmured to my chest, his eyes closed now. "You can skip a day or two before you finally join."

"Jesus, you're impossible." 

I tried to show some irritation but failed smothering my smile. It was uncannily unnerving. This man had pissed me off a few seconds ago but in a few more seconds, he had made me smile. This man could get under my skin and then again, he was the one to soothe me down. At times, he could make my heart run, mostly with worry and sometimes with love. We would worry if we loved, right?

I finally succeeded in sliding into the bathroom after ten minutes, welcoming yet another monotonous day. I couldn't believe that I could get used to the ocean or the view from our bedroom. All good things must come to an end.

"Still going?" Silas muttered, setting down the bowl of cereal before him.

"Yes."

"I can't tell you to skip work since I had spent the last few days working my ass off," he said, his eyes on his food, knowing that I would say something to make him feel better.

I only scowled and took my pasta out of the microwave. His words might have offended me slightly but he wasn't wrong. I wouldn't skip my lessons before joining the cafe because my husband suddenly had the time to play house.

As I stared out the balcony at the ocean, I thought about Jill and wondered how she handled the project in India now. Was there a new chief executive? Was Adrian there now? This baffled me when I realized how much I had come to understand and love the business. That was probably my husband's life. The sobering truth was also upsetting.