Postlude / Epilogue

"Thank you. We appreciate your help," Osbourne smiles down at us as Silas and I sit on the back of an ambulance, Silas Jr. wrapped in a thin blanket sleeping in my arms.

My head still aches from where I've been hit but it's better after the dressing.

"Anytime, Agent," Silas speaks from beside me, a good ten inches still intact between us, his green eyes watching Osbourne's retreating back.

"Mom," a tiny voice murmurs from my chest, causing me to look down. He still sleeps, although speaking something unintelligible. I run my fingers through his baby-fine curls, feeling the warm sweat on his scalp.

"You think he'll be okay?" His father's hoarse voice reaches me. When I look up, he's staring at both of us, with worried eyes. It's sweet.

I offer him a tiny smile, shaking my head. "I don't know." Stealing another glance at my baby, I add, "But he'll get over it. He will think he won't, but he will."

Silas nods, openly staring, with his bloodshot eyes, his hair unruly curls touching his forehead like the way I have always liked.

"But," I continue, my voice a croak. Clearing my throat, I gaze back at him. "I'm not taking any chances. I'll talk to a therapist."

When I sigh, I notice my chest rise and fall, still unable to slow down.

"I'll talk to Jay Kishore. He will be glad to help," Silas nods before looking away, his fingers hovering over his wounded right hand.

We sit there, watching the crowd, the blinding camera flashes, shouting reporters, maintaining our own silence. Well, here's to us, finally surviving. We'll probably be traumatized for the rest of our lives but we'll survive.

Staring ahead, I notice Adrian climbing out of the ambulance across from us, his head-bandage causing the reporters to go wild over the barricades on the fifth avenue. He makes a face at the sight before sauntering towards us. For a few minutes, he towers over us, not speaking, probably debating what to say.

"Godfrey's here. Do you guys need a ride home?"

I look up at him, careful not to hurt my head. "It's okay. Silas and I'll manage. You go home and get some rest."

I notice, from the corner of my eyes, Silas staring at me, slightly surprised at my remark. 

"You too," Adrian smiles before patting Silas on the shoulder. "See you later, buddy."

Silas touches his hand, merely nodding before watching his brother walk away with a knowing smile.

"I'll ask an officer to help me get the car around," he adds hesitantly, his eyes on me wide. At my considering nod, he stands and ambles towards one of the FBI vans.

Osbourne comes out himself, helping him fight the crowd to reach the car he had driven here. Five minutes later, I see Emma standing over me.

"Silas is waiting in the car. Let me escort you. The situation's pretty bad out there." She waves her thin hand behind the ambulance and I stand, following her to the vehicle afterward.

Silas stares when I slip inside the front, beside him. Once settled, I finally close my eyes, my arms clasping my son to my chest. Few moments pass and I decide to watch my husband.

Silas drives, close mouthed. At some sudden thought, he switches the radio on hastily as if he can't take the eerie silence inside the car. Some slowcore music fills the interior. He stops it instinctively.

Guilty green eyes meet mine. "Sorry, I was hoping to hear the news or something. I didn't..."

"It's okay," I murmur with a smile. "It is, Silas."

Reaching for the radio, I switch it on, let the indie rock kill the silence, keeping the volume low enough not to wake my kid.

Minutes later, I notice Silas smiling at the road ahead. It's refreshing. Mirroring him, I raise my hand to touch the hand he rests on his thigh tentatively. He flinches at my touch, probably just startled. When I move it away, he holds it down, intertwining our fingers and giving my hand a gentle squeeze.

I only smile, hiding it behind my son's unruly curls, watching his father's green eyes in the rearview mirror, telling each other silently not to let go of our hands.

Knowing ourselves, we never really will.

THE END

THE END

The song I added in this chapter is the song I've always imagined while they drive back to home, to their future. Please do listen to it.

It's called 'K' by Cigarettes after Sex.

I know I've left a lot of questions unanswered. Which is why I'm updating a "What Happened to the Characters" chapter next.

Any plotholes. Any questions. Just drop it here.

My inbox is open. I'm going to answer each and every one of them. Stay with me.

♡♡♡