Chapter 39 - Paralyzing Ecstasy

The baby was five weeks old, a tiny black and white cloud on the screen. It was too early to feel the heartbeat, the doctor had said.

As I went through the do's and don'ts liflets in my hands, my lips curved. I was already on my way to see Silas. Although, it felt wrong to break it to him now. But I couldn't wait to tell him. There was no expectations. It was his decision to be happy or sad about it. Nevertheless, I was paralyzed with ecstasy.

"Mrs. Dale, we're here," Benson informed me, her eyes level, trying to ignore the liflets I had received from the ob/gyn who performed my ultrasound. She would be quiet if she wanted to keep her precious position. For a split second, I doubted her. She could be involved with Megan. Anyway, she followed me inside, her umbrella crashing with mine on the way.

The drizzle had started since the nightfall. Of course, there wouldn't be any white Christmas. For me, Christmas had always been a happy occasion. It usually gave me the idea as a child that parents wouldn't get frustrated and wouldn't be shouting over little things. They would only have love to offer. Well, parents had more than love to offer their child. It wasn't take it or leave it. It was about lavishing them with affection and scolding them when wrong.

"Back to the same old onesie," Silas shrugged, walking in with a sheepish smile. His arms were lifted to emphasize the orange jumpsuit.

"You're looking awfully happy for a prisoner," I teased, watching him sit across from me. He chuckled, his unruly curls jumping to his forehead.

"Hi," he smiled, taking my hand in his. "Desmond stopped by a while ago. He said you already got some leverage, a witness of some sort."

"Yes," I squinted at him, unable to wipe my smile. "I have someone who is going to talk." I didn't want to make him wonder anymore. "It's Adrian."

His smile faded, his eyebrows raising ay my response. He was more startled than mad, not what I had expected.

"How did you...?" He trailed off, shaking his head.

"I don't know." I mirrored him. "I figured it's safer than bringing out what we have. If he strays from one word he said to me, I will take out the recording of our deal."

"That's convincing," he nodded, his green eyes still wide as if he was trying to digest what I had just told him.

"You don't have to worry, Silas. Your worry is mine now." I squeezed his hand, liking the vague warmth of it.

"Megan's going to come after you, Dawn. I need to you to take care of yourself. Accept all the security you're offered."

"They assigned a fed as my bodyguard until everything is over. My parents don't want me anywhere near you." My hoarse voice went on, "Mom is convinced you're the bad guy."

"Well, most of the time, mom instincts are right, Dawn," he said, his expression as serious as it could be.

"It's not funny!"

"Why are you laughing then?" He frowned in accusation.

"I'll go to the company tomorrow," I said once recovering from my laughter. "I talked to Jill as well. She says the board members will be seeing me."

"Why are you doing all these?" He muttered, his eyebrows furrowing.

"Isn't it obvious?" I lifted both shoulders, finding his eyes running all over my face deliberately.

"You're too good for me, do you know that?" He sighed. This was something I was used to hear from him. It was more like an inside joke now although I knew he meant it.

I said what I had always said before. "I do."

He chuckled and I joined him. I didn't want us to be grieving about this. He probably didn't either. It comforted me. He was caught once again but that couldn't change what we had.

No matter however the things are, we are together, he had said that night in Florence, the last time we had made love.

"There's..." My eyes flicked nervously to his. "Something I wanted to tell you."

"Okay?"

"I'm not sure if it's the right time." I looked at our entwined hands, the warmth comforting me.

"What is it?" Silas stared intently when I peered up.

"I... I'm pregnant."

There it was. It was completely on him now. But whatever he wanted, wouldn't change my mind. He could not be wanting to be a father. But I was more than willing to be a mother.

"How... when did you find out?" There wasn't anything to be read on his face.

"Just about an hour ago," I muttered, my voice small. "The baby's a month old, Silas."

"We had no-"

"Idea?" I cut in and as he nodded, I added, "I know. What do you think?"

I stared, wide-eyed, scrutinizeing his each movement. His eyes darted somewhere I couldn't fathom, his lips parted. Shocked, I could definitely say. When his green eyes met mine, his lips came together with a noisy exhale, curving into a smile.

"It's wonderful, Dawn." He lifted my hand and brought it up to his lips. "I think it's wonderful."

___________

Short chapter, I know. Sorry for the late update. I was out of town. Hope you liked the chapter though.

Let me know what you think about it. And please share with me how it went in your head when Dawn told Silas about the pregnancy. I'd love to hear your imagination.

Love, Humaira. 💋