Chapter 36 - Happy Ending

It was just fifteen minutes later after 8:30 when we passed the roundabout by the public parking lot for a pizza restaurant called Cassamatta. There was a blue street sign standing on our left, announcing five different locations and their distances from here.

Roux's chauffeur took the road that was on our right, going straight from there. The view from there was nothing special in particular except for a couple of hills standing in the background. I wasn't even interested in the view now.

"Not necessary, Wayne. I have it, yes," Silas was talking over the phone, his eyes ahead at the road. "No, Roux was fine. I'll see you, okay."

"What was he saying?" I muttered once he had hung up. His rapt green eyes darted towards me, a smile visible on his face.

"Something about a few men standing in front of the house since last night," he said in a tone that didn't suggest any sort of unease.

Nonetheless, I was anxious in a few seconds.

"Do you think Megan knows? I mean, she had people behind us."

"Wayne told me that Roux is trustworthy and money is the last thing he'd be worried about," Silas shrugged, assuring me with a curve of his lips and held my hand in his.

Of course. Roux was a man from a rich background. He grew up knowing stockbrokers, trust fund kids, bankers, politicians and he knew he was surrounded by criminals. That was when the idea of joining the MI6 swooped in. It wasn't until ten years when he finally met Christie and wanted to settle down.

It brought me back to us. I had replayed how New York would be after so long in my head at least twenty times since I had woken up. It wouldn't be easy, I knew. But it was pretty simple in my head. We could be hiding for a week or so until Silas contacted the right people, telling them he had information vital to the case.

I just wanted to have a life void of difficulties from now. A life where Silas and I would return back to our house, where he would get his company back, where I would have a decent job, where he would be waiting for me while I would walk down the aisle and where we would have our happy ending.

"Dawn." A whisper reached me and Silas's grip on my hand tightened, startling me out of my thoughts.

"What happened?" I turned to him, watching his thick eyebrows knitting ever so slowly in some recognition. He pointed his chin towards the windshield.

A sudden sense of déjà vu crawled at the back of my mind. We had arrived the helipad, but instead of only a jet from the last time, there was a standby chopper and a business jet.

And instead of the FBI agents, there were men in suits.

And instead of my mind failing to understand, everything was crystal clear even while turning to chaos.

"Silas." It was me who strengthened my fingers around his this time. "We have to turn back."

"Sir," the chauffeur spoke immediately as if realizing what exactly was going on here. "We can turn back. Signor Roux would have backups."

"Silas!" I yanked at his arm.

For fuck's sake, look at me.

He did and finally opened his mouth to speak, "It's too late. They'd get us anyway."

"No, we're turning back!" I cried, our eyes locking for a split second and I thought I saw guilt rising in those green eyes. He remained calm when the car came to a halt.

"Please don't do this to me," I whispered, my eyes welling up with scalding tears, blurring the world.

"I'm sorry, Dawn," he sighed and reached for the door.