Chapter 23 - Escaped, Yet Not Freed

Now that I have found you

In the coolth of your evening smile

The shade of your parasol

And your love flows through me

Though I drink at your pool

I burn for you, I burn for 

You and I are lovers

When night time folds around our bed

Had that been The Police or Sting? I couldn't remember as the words filled the car interior.

Jayne and I were on our way down to Positano. The weather had surprisingly upgraded: the sky a clear blue, the sun visible above us. My companion was looking out from the window while I drove. From one stolen glance, I realized she looked wary, more tired since the past few weeks.  

When the song ended and a commercial came on, she reached for the radio, her green eyes similar to her brother flickering at me for encouragement, perhaps.

"It's okay," I smiled with my eyes still on the road ahead when the car fell silent, void of any sounds except for our own breathing.

"You look a little tired this morning," I broke the silence once again.

"I went to bed late last night," she said and after a pause added, "Were you and Silas arguing?"

My head whipped at her instantly but I recovered fast and concentrated on my driving. "Not really. He had a headache and just lost his... uh, temper."

An assuring smile formed on my face as I sighed. "It's fine. Don't worry."

"Did he lash out at you?" she asked spookily as we passed the local butcher shop, ignoring the old man's words about buying something fresh.

"No," I lied confidently. Besides, it was just one time. Well, probably several times back at Newburgh but he never abused me verbally. If anything, I had done the abusement. "Why do you ask?"

A bus passed by, a fascinating number of tourists laughing and chatting inside as we drove down Via Roma.

Jayne looked down at her hands when she spoke, "He had that habit as a teenager."

An idea sprung into my mind but that made it seem as if I was violating Silas's privacy. But this was the right time. If not now, then I'd have to forever hold my peace.

"Jayne," I said, almost casually when the car entered a tunnel, my eyes lingering on the convex safety mirror for one second. "Was your brother an alcoholic as a teenager?"