Chapter 5 - A Wife's Sensibility

"So, that's all?" I raised my eyebrows at Amelia, who sat on the white sofa in my living room, intimidated and almost trembling when she handed me another file.

"This is the last one," she said, her voice shaking. Tucking a copper strand of hair behind her pale ear, she quickly cleared her throat. "Mrs. Dale..."

At my lifted eyebrows, she corrected herself, "Dawn... uh, when are you going to start?"

"Tomorrow. We're going to pick up from where Silas left. Follow the last schedule he made," I smiled briefly before dropping the file over the others she had given me.

"Okay. So..." Her hazel eyes widened as she fidgeted with her copper split-ends.

Looking up, I said, "You may leave, Amelia. Thank you. Wayne, will you see her out?"

"You're welcome, Dawn," she stood, offering me a half-smile and turning to Wayne who stood in his usual suit by the stair. With a nod, he led Amelia to the foyer. I, however, was more interested in the files. So, tapping my fingers leisurely over the brown velvet of my wing chair, I went through the documents.

"Mrs. Dale, I have Mr. Maxwell on the line," Wayne showed up and pointed towards his phone. Giving him a nod, I took the cellphone and held it against my ear.

"Hello, Desmond?"

"Dawn, I called Wayne because you weren't picking up," Desmond gushed, but his voice didn't lose the amount of serenity he liked to surround himself with.

"Is everything alright?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Silas offered for a meeting with the judge saying that he had information vital to the murder case. Turns out he confessed the crime. They were about to cancel his trials."

"Did the judge pronounce the sentence or about to?" I sat up straight, the velvet beneath me going as hard as a rock.

"No, I showed them the recording of our meeting where Silas said that he didn't commit the crime. That bought us some time," Desmond sighed from the other side of the phone.

"Where is he now?" My lips trembled.

"Correctional center. Look, you need to talk to him about this. He isn't talking to me." Desmond's concern made me guilty. Anyone in his place could be annoyed at Silas's discourtesy. But, Silas wasn't easy. He was a fucking mountain that I couldn't remove from my path. So I climbed it and conquered.

After an hour of hanging up, I was signing for a meeting with Silas, showing them the contents I had in the briefcase with me. Seeing the business-related documents, they didn't stretch it so far. Next thing I knew, I had walked into the room to find him sitting across a steel table that reflected his orange jumpsuit and then I found myself before him, my hand shooting up to slap him.

The sound echoed off the plain walls while he remained face away from me. 

"You think you're gonna get away with this?" I gritted out, slapping him again. 

He didn't show any emotions, not even self-defense. Looking straight at me, he raised both thick eyebrows.

"What?" I croaked out. "Are you happy now?"

He didn't speak.

"Do you know how does it feel while counting every single minute, waiting for you to come home? And then you go and ruin it, doing the only thing that will keep you apart from me for the rest of our lives," I hollered, seeing red.

Impassive, he listened as I continued, "Silas, I love you but that doesn't mean you can play with my emotions and I'll let you get away with it. You say that you love me, you want to have a family with me and then you plead guilty. This is not what I had in mind when you promised me you'd stay. If I had been pregnant... if Dr. Learner had told me about a positive result, would you leave our baby too?"