Chapter 6 - Take Me to Him

"So, you called the NYPD when you saw my client arguing with Adam? How long must have taken for the cops to get there, Mr.Frayer?" Desmond stood straight, facing Kurt Fayer, the witness. The more calm and quiet he looked, the more I felt beads of sweat forming over the bridge of my nose. 

Silas had settled beside Desmond's seat, unruly even in a suit. He remained silent, watching as Desmond continued with the interrogation.

"About 20 minutes," Frayer replied, shaking his head, his brown eyes fixed on Desmond.

"What happened when they arrived?"

"Mr. Dale was gone. He escaped with one of the cargo vans we were setting up for a shipment. The cops asked some questions about the murder and took me in their custody," Frayer responded.

"Anything you remember? What was the exact time you said?" Desmond inquired. When Frayer gave him a response, he smiled almost to himself and retrieved a file from his desk. While the judge examined the papers Desmond just gave her, he continued, "Your honor, these pictures were taken from around 8 to almost 10 at the day of the murder. My client was present in his wife's birthday celebration while the murder took place. The file has the exact timings of the clicks."

"It's a legit alibi," the judge responded, her eyes running over the papers through her reading glasses. Finally looking up, she added, "You may continue your questioning."

"Thank you, your honor." With that Desmond turned to Frayer. "Mr. Frayer, how long have you been working for Dale Enterprises?"

"Almost two years," Frayer's answer was direct.

"When you were taken in the custody, you had been asked for your employee ID card. The one that you handed over was a forgery. I must say that you had the forensics almost fooled," Desmond flashed him a hostile smile but frowned as the prosecutor stood straight.

"Objection! Your honor, the defense attorney can't state it as a forgery without any proof," the man gritted out, his golden hair slicked back to perfection. But the flush of his face gave away his anxiety.

"Oh, I have the forensic report. You can objectify it if you want, Laird," Desmond smiled at the prosecutor before holding up a file from his desk. The judge seemed convinced when she went through the report and spoke, "Overruled." 

Phew.

"My friend Agent Osbourne here went through Frayer's criminal record and found this," Desmond, one by one, handed over his weapons to the judge. Almost as if, the cross-examination was a chess board to him.

"Your honor, may I continue about this particular file?"

"You may proceed," the woman spoke, rolling her eyes at the witness. 

"Mr. Frayer or Vin Wilson according to your real national ID that we found buried inside one of your plants' containers, could you please explain why you lied about your position in Dale Enterprises?"

Frayer blinked twice, his pale skin glowing almost white. With a sigh, he responded, "I was trespassing and when I saw the murder, I tried to escape. But the cops ratted me out so I had to pretend."

"Let's say you saw the murder happen. But my client has an alibi. So, could you explain how you saw him? You were convinced. Besides, what were you doing there in the first place?" Desmond finished with a backward glance at Silas. Silas gave him a firm nod.

The next twenty minutes passed like a tsunami. From the revelation of Frayer's identity to losing a witness, everything happened so fast. Admiring Desmond's ability to prove the only witness of the crime wrong, I stood with a spiked heart and a room full of people.