Chapter 32 - Insecurities & Agony

The first real terror struck me half an hour later when we had been turned down by at least three cars, asking for a lift. There was nothing unnatural about that. People didn't help people these days. I looked over at Silas who looked like he had had enough.

We didn't walk from the gas station. It was too risky to take everything and march out of here. Besides, there would be places far away from the civilization in the way where we could see not even a soul. Then again we needed a place to stay the night.

Silas raked a hand through his hair, exasperated, and then stole a glance at me.

"I'll go insane," he muttered under his breath.

I thought of saying something but nothing good came to my mind.

If you have only bad things to say, then say nothing. Had that been Jared or June who said this?

I backed away when another vehicle passed us, air hitting our face, making Silas curse for the hundredth time. When had I last thought about Jared and June? A week ago? A month? I was the one with cynicism and June had always said in bad times to speak good, manifest good and let the universe do its work. Oh, how I missed her 'law of attraction' references! A bitter smile curved my lips when I thought about what I wanted. I wanted to be in New York, with my husband, safe and sound.

Was there a way to reach an airport? Oh, yes. There was always a way but I just didn't know.

"Silas?"

He turned to me, his eyes wide and for a while I felt his irritation myself.

"We can't go to Naples anymore," I said, not even aware why I chose to.

"I know. The airport is burnt. They'll be looking for us there," he admitted what I had been dreading.

"Do you think we should go back to the coast? If we could rent a boat or something..."

"We need a car first. We can't walk all the way."

Silas looked away as if to hide his agitation. Then it all came back... and now I stood here, with the sun setting behind us, cool breeze making me shiver as helplessly as a homeless man. But it wasn't the breeze, it was the thought of Silas and his occasional display of exhaustion and anger.

Could I help him now?

"Silas, I need to use your phone."

"Now?" He raised both his eyebrows at me.

"I think I might have a way out of the country."

"What?"

"I'll tell you in a minute. I need your phone."

He looked convinced, frantic nonetheless. Setting the duffel bag on his knees, he shoved an arm inside and groped around without looking.

"Does it cover transatlantic?" Taking the burner phone from him, I waved it to emphasize.

"You'll have to reverse the charges," he shrugged and rubbed his chin, looking as I dialed the number.

When the line clicked, the cool air on my face seemed to actually cool me down a little.

"Wayne?"

"Dawn?" His voice sounded drowsy. "What happened?"

Of course, he knew I wouldn't call to know how life was.

"I'm sorry. I'll have to keep this very short. Do you think you can send the jet to Italy as soon as possible?"

Silas rose his eyebrows at me, suddenly curious. I flashed a tiny smile at him.