Chapter 19

Percy, oddly partially relieved, still had a bad feeling about the situation, though.
*****

"How long does it take for a phone call?" Rachel inquired, confused about why Percy hadn't returned yet.

Jason shrugged. "Maybe it's important."

"Is he even out there still?" Piper muttered, mostly to herself.

Nico stood up and made his way towards the door. He turned the lock and pushed it open. His eyes scanned the hallway for the green-eyed boy, but saw no sign of him.

"Guys, he's not out here," Nico informed, concern slowly seeping into his words. (Bruiser, where is Elle? Please kick me out, please and thank you.)

Thalia stood up, joining Nico at the door. "I'll call the front desk and ask if they saw him," she proposed, then turning to the phone. She dialed the number, explaining the situation. While a reply came from the other end, Thalia nodded, finally ending the call with a thank you.

"They said he left a while ago," Thalia sighed, sitting back down.

Nico paused before a possibility shot itself into his brain. He nervously glanced at Rachel, who appeared to also have the anxious aura surrounding her.

"What if something happens?" Rachel questioned, standing up. "Should we call him?"

Grover, already beginning the task, tapped Percy's name in his contacts and held his phone up to his ear.

The phone rung, the room's tension increasing with every ring, as they waited for him to pick up the phone.

Just before Grover was about to give up on the call, his phone clicked and the ringing stopped.

"Hello?" A voice from the other side answered.

"Percy?" Grover clarified uncertainly. He knew that people sounded different over the phone, but this didn't sound anything like Percy.

"Why do you need him?"

"I, uh, I'm his roommate."

A faint voice was heard in the background, but the words were too quiet to be heard properly.

"Hey, Grover," a different voice, one that sounded much more like Percy's, was the next sound from the phone. "What'd you need?"

"Oh, we were just wondering where you went," Grover explained, glancing around the group of friends.

"I'm fine, there's no need to worry." He paused. "Well, I gotta hang up. See you sometime soon."

"Oh, um, bye," Grover stuttered out. He received a bye in return right before the other end hung up.

He put the phone in his pocket before glancing around at the confused faces surrounding him.

Nico awkwardly cleared his throat. "Can I, uh, possibly talk to Rachel in the hallway for a minute?"

Rachel stood up and went into the hallway with Nico, as requested. "How often do those panic attack things happen?"