Chapter 54

Hello, children. Hope everybody is thriving. Enjoy the mess, as usual.

"It's Percy..."
*****

The seventeen year-old sighed at his phone, whispering, "I don't even know why I called, it's not like you or anyone else I know would answer in the middle of the night. You can probably just delete this, I'm just going to end up rambling anyway. Thank you, though, for everything. I, uh...I don't know if I'd even be here if you hadn't been by my side for the past few months. Without you, this year probably would have been one of the worst in my life."

"This is the most fucking cliché message I've ever left," Percy breathily laughed with a hint of what sounded like sadness in his tone, "Nico, you have been nothing but amazing to me recently, and I could never find a way to repay you. You gave me time and effort I didn't deserve, and–"

Percy didn't feel the sting behind his eyes until he paused. He wiped at his face, mentally scolding himself for being pathetic. The boy stopped himself before he could delve any further into his pain, "I'm looking forward to our marathon. Sorry for the–this stupid voicemail. I'll see you soon. Goodnight."

He pulled his phone away from his ear, glaring at it as he pressed the red button to end the call. What was he thinking, calling at that time in the first place? He really hoped he hadn't woken Nico up because Percy was fairly certain Nico had already lost enough sleep worrying about him.

He flopped back down on the bed and gently tossed his phone on the nightstand. There wasn't anything else there for it to knock off since Percy hadn't done any recent decor shopping after, you know, getting out of juvy.

Weeks ago, Percy had absolutely no idea what he felt. His feelings towards Nico varied from those he had towards his other friends, but he wasn't sure how. He initially thought they only differed because Nico was someone new in his life, something Percy hadn't truly had for a while. Once that subsided, though, he knew it was something else. More people started to notice and point it out to him—Clarisse, Will, even Grover. As much as he hated to admit it, Percy did have a small hope that he and Nico could end up together.

Nico told him he was gay within the first week of knowing Percy, so that wasn't even the problem. Percy didn't really know how to read Nico as he did other people. Everything that Percy could try to say hinted at Nico feeling the same way could easily just be kindness. Percy could easily argue that he wasn't all that special to the boy.

He wanted to be special to Nico, though, is what he decided his issue was. He wanted Nico to feel the same kind of lightness and calm that he felt when he was near the boy.

Percy sighed, rolling onto his side. But no, he thought to himself, instead you're leaving him voicemails that make you sound like a total idiot at four A.M. He'll definitely love you for that.

Percy was absolutely clueless when it came to romance. He still hadn't fully come to understand how to accept his own sexuality, but he was trying to make progress. Plus, he didn't ever really feel a desire to pursue a romance.

The people he'd grown up with during his teenage years were not exactly people he could see himself falling in love with. Ethan, Chris, and Travis were all out by default since they were straight. Clarisse, Annabeth, and Nyssa were because Percy wasn't. He was left with Connor, who was practically a brother to him, and Luke. Castellan was definitely attractive, Percy would give him that, but Percy did also create the massive scar on his face and only stopped because the police showed up. He just had a suspicion that relationship wouldn't work out.

Now that he did find someone who he might like, though, Percy's mind blanked on what he should do about it. He couldn't even ask his parents for their advice on the matter like many kids his age.

He did always have Grover.

Percy sat up and contemplated for just a moment how much he valued having a roof over his head. Grover was sparing him from rent until Percy could find a job, and Percy knew he'd have a difficult time finding somebody else to put up with him. He sighed, Fuck it.

He swung his legs off the bed and cautiously made it over to the doorway. Percy didn't allow himself time to rethink his decision as he pushed the door open and turned towards Grover's room. He approached the large white piece of wood and hesitantly and quietly rapped on it with the back of his hand.

He heard nothing and received no response for a few moments. He was about to turn around when the doorknob turned and a tired face peeked through a sliver of darkness.

"Percy?" Grover rubbed his eyes as glanced questioningly at the boy in front of him, "What's wrong?"

Percy froze, "I, uh, I don't...I'm sorry, you can go back to bed." He quickly spun on his heel and started on the short route back to his room.

Grover almost instantly stopped him with a, "Hey. Go sit on the couch, I'll make tea."

Percy heard the click of Grover's crutches follow him to the front of the apartment. He squinted as Grover turned on the light over the stove.

Sitting down, Percy saw his friend look back to him over his shoulder, "Chamomile or green?"

The black-haired boy just shrugged and gave the very helpful answer of, "Whichever."

Grover inspected him for a moment before saying, "You look like a chamomile guy."

A few minutes of silence later, Percy heard the high pitched yelling of the kettle. Grover called Percy's name softly.

"Can you do me a huge favor and come get these, Perce?" He asked, gesturing to his crutches. Percy nodded and complied, moving the cups to the table in front of the couch. He set one down in front of himself and handed the other to Grover once he was situated.

Grover thanked him and took a sip before setting his own cup down. "Now," he said, "are you okay?"

"Maybe? I'm fine, really, but I was just really confused," Percy was quickly realizing just how stupid it was that this was why he disturbed Grover, "Sorry for waking you up again."

"Don't worry about it, Percy, really," Grover insisted, "What's confusing you...at four in the morning?"

Percy sighed, "I'd say it's really more of a 'who.'"

Grover couldn't stop the smile that crept onto his face, and Percy liked to claim he couldn't stop his eyes from rolling at his roommate simultaneously. However, Percy did also nod to tell Grover his suspicions were correct.

The boys spoke in unison, "Nico di Angelo."

Just a little examination on Percy's behalf, really more of a filler chapter. Do not worry, though, patient readers. Your ship will be sailing soon enough.

Also wow I love Grover Underwood.

Have a nice week everybody.