Chapter 50

[TRIGGER WARNING: chapter contains mentions of homophobia and implications of abuse. If they topics affect you in any way, please take caution while reading. They are portrayed solely in conversation in this chapter. Thank you, and stay safe.]

Percy was suddenly very excited about Sunday.
*****

When visiting day actually came around that week, Percy was anything but excited for Nico to show up. He wanted to see him, obviously, but if Nico saw how Percy had been acting the past few days, there would certainly be a lecture in store. He was out of it again, stuck in one of his slumps that took gods only know how long for him to snap out of. Percy had more difficulty returning to normal in Albany than he did back in Manhattan. Whether it be the lack of familiarity or the absence of his peers at the Manhattan facility, Percy couldn't tell.

Will tried to help, he really did. To some degree, he succeeded in keeping Percy at least partially grounded. He taught Percy some breathing tips and exercises to stop his anxiety. Percy wasn't too sure when his brain would function well enough during one of hisattacks to remember to do them, but he appreciated the effort from the blonde.

Nico, on the other hand, felt quite the opposite of Percy. He had to drive himself, since Jason had insisted Nico spend however much time he wanted without worrying if he was bored or not. Miraculously, he got there safely. The secretary from last time seemed to remember him at least vaguely because she just sent Nico back with an officer after having him sign in.

The delinquents were, for lack of a better word, unscheduled during visiting hours as to not interrupt any activities. They could roam and relax in their cell areas. Nico saw a unique utilization of this when he walked into the area Percy was in and saw him sleeping in the corner of his bed. He glanced over at Will with a inquiring gaze.

"He got up for breakfast because he had to, then came back and passed out," Will explained with a sigh, "I was hoping you'd show up to talk to him."

"Is he okay?" Nico furrowed his eyebrows in concern.

Will shrugged. "I'm just glad you're back. He's been acting weird for a few days, and I'm not sure how to help him since he won't even tell me what the issue is."

Nico nodded understandingly, turning to go wake up Percy, but Will stopped him just moments later.

"I don't know how well you know Percy, but the other day he, uh, had some sort of episode? I managed to get him back to normal with a couple anxiety exercises and talking with him but I don't...I just didn't know if you knew anything about them?"

Nico sighed. "Yeah, I know what you're talking about. Do you know what happened right before it?"

"We were just talking, and I asked about his sexuality," Will explained, "I didn't know it was something that bothered him."

Nico furrowed his eyebrows before muttering to himself, "Neither did I."

"Is there anything else I should know not to talk about?" The blonde asked intently.

Nico thought for a moment. "I'd just say, as a general statement, don't talk about his past unless he's the one that starts the conversations. He's been through a lot, and...he's strong, but it's hard, you know?"

"I'm assuming you can't tell me about it?" Will asked, even though he knew what the answer would likely be.

Nico nodded. "I wouldn't do that without his permission."

"Of course," Will concluded in an understanding tone, and the conversation ended there.

Nico sighed and ran a hand through his hair. He couldn't be there when Percy needed him. Gods, he hated that they were two hours apart now. There was no more dropping by every day to check up on Percy. Nico could only hope the other boy was doing fine. It was especially hard when he knew Percy was, in fact, not fine. Without even waking Percy up, Nico could already tell that he'd go home today feeling upset that he couldn't spend the rest of the week bringing Percy back to normal. He just had to trust the older boy could do it on his own for seven days.

He went over and crouched beside Percy's bed. Gently, he shook the boy awake and watched as his green eyes slowly pried themselves open.

"Nico?" Percy murmured almost inaudibly, wiping at his eyes with his fist.

The younger boy smiled at him. "Is everything okay?"

"Enough," Percy yawned, "I'm just tired."

Nico raised his eyebrows questioningly. Percy stared at him for a few moments before sighing and scooting closer to the wall before inviting Nico to sit next to him. The shorter boy happily obliged, standing upright before taking a seat next to Percy.

Percy laid his head on Nico's shoulder and yawned again. "I guess Will already told you I totally freaked the other day?"

"Yeah," Nico didn't bother trying to lie to Percy anymore, "Do you think you need to talk about it?"

Percy swallowed and looked deep in thought for a few seconds before changing his voice into a whisper, "Are you still gay?"

Nico bit back a chuckle. "Yeah, Perce. That won't change, I'll promise you that."

"Okay," Percy smiled softly, "just wanted to make sure."

Nico wanted to ask Percy about why talking about his own sexuality brought back some of his horrendous memories, but he didn't want to start anything. Thankfully, Percy decided to address it himself.

"Gabe was...really homophobic," Percy said so quietly that Nico was fairly certain he wouldn't have heard it if Percy's head wasn't laying on him, "He never really knew if I was straight or not, but I guess he figured he might as well pretend I wasn't just for fun."

Nico slowly wrapped his arm around Percy's shoulders and gave a gentle squeeze. He was glad that Percy thought he could confide in Nico, but hearing about his past broke the younger boy's heart. Nico still couldn't believe that Percy never seemed to run out of trauma to talk about.

He wished he could help more.

"Are you sure you're okay talking about it, Perce?" Nico muttered kindly, occasionally glancing over at the blonde in the room to see if he was eavesdropping. He seemed preoccupied.

Percy nodded slowly. "Like two weeks before I was arrested, he heard me say something to Annabeth about liking guys when he picked me up from school. It...didn't end well for me. And I–I know people won't react like that, but I just...I don't know, Nico."

"I'm right here whenever you need me," Nico assured him.

Percy nodded. "Thank you."

Well hello everyone. I hope everyone is thriving and having fun if you're taking exams. I'm a solid 40% of the way through mine.

Also I'm going to school for literally two hours and then leaving tomorrow, rip me.

Hope y'all enjoyed the chapter. Happy holidays in case we don't see each other in this story for a week or two ahaha.