Chapter 30

GUYS WE HIT 3K, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH, ILY.

HAVE A CHAPTER. (SORRY IT TOOK TEN YEARS TO GET OUT)

"Then talk."
*****

Percy patted the ground next to him, which confused Nico. He'd thought Percy would be a lot more bitter about the situation, but it appeared that Nico was wrong. Nonetheless, he took a seat next to the boy, trying to decide how to start.

"So...," Percy awkwardly tried to initiate the conversation.

"I'm sorry," Nico blurted out, startling the other four teens in the room.

Clarisse gestured for her and the Stolls to leave, even if it was their room. The three thought it was better if they stayed out of the situation. Once the room was empty of everyone but him and Percy, Nico kept talking.

"I know, I was an asshole, and you really shouldn't forgive me but I...I just thought I finally had a lead on her death, you know? Luke was fucking with my head over it, and he knew it. I really can't blame it on him, though, considering it was my choice to believe him in the first place," Nico rambled, fighting back the welling tears in his eyes. He really did feel like a terrible person, but he also just really wanted Percy's forgiveness. "But Bianca...sh-she was my...my everything. I'm sure you know how it is; dad left, mom dead....I was just losing hope. And then she was...," Nico choked back a sob, glancing up at Percy to see a gentle gaze set upon him. "She was gone, just like that. A-and I didn't know what to do. I couldn't eat, c-couldn't sleep. Only a few people kept me alive, honestly. Jason and Thalia took me in, but you already knew that. I know I-I'll never be able to repay them, and th-they keep trying to tell me that it's no problem but I...I just..." Nico wiped a stray year away. "Sorry about th-the waterworks, but I-"

"It's fine, Nico," Percy interrupted with a rather blunt response. He'd never been one for conversation, really. The whole 'actions speak louder than words' thing was more up Percy's alley, and Nico's visit from the day before was definitely a strong action.

But so was him coming back, not caring about visiting hours, apologizing, and half-sobbing in the Stolls' cell.

Percy felt Nico's glossy eyes stare at him as he awaited a further response. He looked up, initiating eye contact. Nico bit his lip, rather anxious about the unspoken reply. "Nico, I hope you know that what you did yesterday kind of sucked," Percy started off in his ever-so-caring tone. You know, the one that sounds sarcastic but really isn't. "But I see where you're coming from. I'm really sorry about this whole situation, and I'm not exactly sure how to...I don't know, make it up to you, I guess."

Nico shook his head. "This one's on me."

Percy's gaze traveled to the ground as he debated over what to say in his mind. After a few moments of silence in which Percy struggled to finally come up with a valid statement, he mumbled quietly, "Luke killed her, Nico."

"What?" Nico asked, taken aback at the information.

"I assume he told you about his scar?"

"And Ethan's eye."

Percy nodded, continuing, "After Luke attacked her, I-I tried to help her, but he had his mind set on her death. I freaked out, honestly. There was an innocent girl, laying on the sidewalk, and bleeding out from stab wounds that came from a guy who I believed was my best friend...and I'll admit, I really wasn't very mentally stable at the time. My initial thought was that if she's dead, he might as well be too."

"And you clawed his face?"

Percy shook his head. "Not exactly, no."

"Then what-"

"We don't need to talk about his face right now. The point is...is that I feel terrible about it and I...I just wanted you to believe that I wasn't a broken piece of glass like everyone else does," Percy finished, closing his eyes and lowering his head.

He was about to tell Nico that he should leave, but his brain stopped that train of thought after feeling a gentle hand on his shoulder. Percy slowly looked up at the other boy, who kept opening and closing his mouth like he wanted to say something but didn't know how.

Nico removed his hand, sensing Percy's discomfort. "S-sorry, this is just a bit...overwhelming for me, I guess?"

Percy nodded in agreement, biting his lip. His eyes unintentionally glanced up to see Nico blinking back tears in his red-rimmed eyes. His mom instincts kicked in as he gently wrapped an arm around Nico's shoulder. The brown-eyed boy subconsciously leaned into the touch, laying his head on Percy's shoulder. As a tear finally managed to escape Nico's eye, Percy simply brushed it away with his thumb. The two sat in comfortable silence for at least five minutes before hearing the door begin to open. Percy immediately disconnected the two and scooted away, assuming it was Mr. D and knowing that he'd get yelled at for being so close to the visitor. Sadly, his assumptions were correct, and Mr. D told Nico that he had to leave. Frankly, Percy was quite surprised he could convince Mr. D to let him visit in the first place. He wasn't exactly sunshine and lollipops, to say the least. However, they decided it was probably best to be obedient (actually, Percy wanted Nico to stay, but Nico insisted on following the rules), and they bid each other goodbye in a rather awkward manner.

After Nico had left the premises, Percy returned to his cell, ignoring the non-stop questions from his "partners in crime" after his encounter with the younger boy. They eventually left him alone after figuring out that Percy didn't plan on answering any of their questions. Percy looked around the room, sighing. He couldn't help but think about the boy that had been there previously.

The boy who wasn't terrified of him.

So, uh, school started Wednesday. And volleyball.

I'm sorry in advance for whatever speed these updates come at😂

Okay, bye kids.👌🏻