Chapter 48

Welcome. This chapter is a mess.

Enjoy though, I guess.

[TRIGGER WARNING: chapter contains portrayal of symptoms of anxiety, PTSD, etc. If this is something you feel will upset you, please take caution while ready or only read the dialogue sections. Thank you, and stay safe.]

After all, ignorance is bliss.
*****

Nico's departure meant Percy was left alone with Will and the anxiety-inducing thoughts that rampantly bounced around his mind. After about five minutes of comfortable silence, Will spoke up.

"So," he started, "that was Nico?"

Percy nodded. "One and only."

"And you're trying to convince me you two aren't together?" He questioned with raised eyebrows.

The taller of the two just rolled his eyes. "We aren't. Plus, even if he wanted us to be, it wouldn't work with me all the way out here."

"What about you?" Will kept talking, "You only said if he wanted to. Does that mean you already do?"

"Gods, you're fucking nosy," Percy muttered, running a hand through his hair.

"Right, sorry," Will quickly apologized, "I'm used to leading the conversation. Guy across the hallway is quiet, you know?"

Percy closed his eyes, nodding. He had yet to say something to anyone in the facility except Will, but he figured he might as well pretend he knew what Will was talking about. It had been working out for him so far.

"Are you even gay?" Will then asked, seemingly deciding to just ignore the last piece of their conversation.

Percy's breath hitched for a half second. He intentionally tried to avoid that topic at all costs. The first and last time he'd made a comment about his sexuality was when he was twelve, and it didn't end well. He just stared at the ceiling for a few moments, attempting to block out the memories before they managed to drown all his other thoughts out.

"Percy?" Will said concernedly, but it was merely a distant echo in Percy's head.

He breathed with a ragged pattern, slowly struggling to keep his respiration steady. His shoulders tensed as he continued to ignore Will's confused remarks every minute or so.

The world around him blurred as incoherent yelling replayed in his mind. Sounds of smashed glass and slamming against walls sounded alongside the yells. Percy's head throbbed as he finally gasped for the air he could no longer find.

He felt something against his forearm and immediately shoved whatever it was away. He couldn't feel anything without feeling Gabe's calloused hands grabbing him like he was an object. Not a person, but solely a thing wandering the earth for his stepfather to treat like a punching bag for his pleasure and anger management.

Not now, Percy chided himself as he desperately tried to force himself to return to reality, not here.

He distantly heard Will continue to say his name, and he tried to focus on that. He tried to allow the blonde's voice to overpower the ones in his head.