Chapter 16

I was numb.

I saw people pass in front of my eyes but they were a blur to me. People tried to talk with me but I couldn't bring myself to hear them, much else try to say something. Eventually someone sat next to me and held my hand.

I stay like this for perhaps hours, I'm not sure since to me it's like time had stood still, I had no perception of it. People tried to get me to eat something but I refused. I couldn't eat, not when my mate fought to stay in the land of the living.

We were lucky to be so close to the hospital when his heart stopped or else it might have been too late. The pain I felt.... I never want to feel like that again. He was rushed into surgery and I've been waiting ever since. It has already been 4 hours. The only reason I knew this was because I couldn't keep my eyes away from the clock on the wall.

No news was good news, right? I keep telling myself.

I was still holding him close with the bond. He was weak I could tell and he needed as much energy as he could to stay alive so I kept the link open so he could take some of that energy from me. I was feeling exhausted but I refused to cut the link, it was my only way of knowing if he was alive.

Someone enters the room, the only reason I pay attention is because that person that I know recognise as being Lucas, stood in front of me and crunch down so he could look into my eyes without me twisting my neck.

"We found out what happened" he said serious. This got my attention, I kept rewinding every minute of our conversation in my head trying to find out what had cause all of this but nothing stood out for me.

I didn't say anything but he knew he had my attention

"He was poison with wolf bane." he admits and I almost gasp with pain. Wolf bane was one of the ways someone could kill a werewolf. The obvious being silver but if a wolf ingests wolf bane it means instant death. It's a miracle Mason has stayed alive for this long.

"We found traces of it in the orange juice that was brought to your room. I take it Mason drank from it?" he asks already knowing the answer

I nod still petrified. But then another alarming thought passed through my mind

"Oh God...." I say almost crying "It's my fault...that drink was meant for me" I say and the tears started falling again. I thought I had already run out of those but apparently not. "It's my fault he's dying"

"Don't say that" I hear Jade say next to me. She had been the one by my side during all these hours

"If that drink was really meant for you then you would have been dead right now!" she says a little angry "Mason is an Alpha; he can handle the poison better than anyone in the pack. If anyone can survive this it's him, so don't you even dare blame yourself for not being the one to drink it or we would be planning your funeral right now!"

I know she is right but just the thought of my mate fighting for his life as we speak breaks my heart and makes me wish for us to trade places.

Finally, the doctor I recognise as being the one that treated me when I was here approaches us. His face is neutral so I can't tell if he brings good news or bad news.

"Doctor, how is he?" I ask standing up. I was squeezing Jade's hand hard but she didn't complain. We were all eager for information.

"We manage to contain the poison and we are slowly extracting what remains of it from the Alpha's blood stream. He was very lucky, if you had taken one more minute getting him here than it might have been to late but fortunately that wasn't the case." he says

"So he's going to be okay?" I ask eager and hopeful

His face drops a bit.

"That's where it gets complicated. He had wolf bane inside of him for more time than I would have liked and there is no way of knowing if that will bring consequences further on." he explains