Chapter 17

Mason's POV

I'm burning. My entire body feels like it's on fire. What's happening? I try opening my eyes but they refuse to cooperate, in fact my entire body seemed to refuse to cooperate. I couldn't move any single part of me. The pain was excruciating but I try to ignore it. I need to focus...what happened? I was with Freya...Freya? Where was Freya!? Where is she? I try so hard to move. I had to find her, make sure she was ok. That she was safe. Why couldn't I!? The pain became stronger, I wanted to scream but I couldn't.

I was alone, completely alone and trapped. Trapped inside my own body. I could feel myself starting to lose control, I knew I was being weak and not the powerful Alpha I use to be, but I'm afraid. Afraid for my mate. Afraid...of death. I could feel myself sinking further into the pain. Into the darkness. You know when someone says they saw the light at the end of the tunnel? I was seeing a light right now. It was warm and so inviting. I knew that if I reach it the pain would end, I wouldn't be alone anymore, I wouldn't be trap.

I forgot about everything as I stared at the light. I could only think of how much I wanted relief, how I wanted the burning in my veins to stop. I reach for the light. It's even more beautiful up close, so warm....so peaceful...and step through it letting it embrace me fully accepting it but then I hear a scream "NOOOOOOOO!" That scream unlocked me of my trance. Freya. That was Freya's voice. How could I forget about her? She was my everything. How could I have been so ready to let go and leave her behind?

I immediately step back and refuse going through the light. I had to go back to Freya. She needed me. I could feel her now, through our bond. She was beautiful and so strong. I could feel her feeding me energy, giving me strength to fight back against death. She was so strong my Freya, holding me to life with everything she has.

I loved this woman and I will fight for her, for she and I had only just began living and I wanted to live a long life filled with adventure next to her. I wanted to show her how much I loved her for the rest of our lives and kiss her madly for her stubbornness.

I start fighting against the pain. It's excruciating, if I know any better than this was the result of wolf bane, a deadly poison meant to kill wolves. I zoned out for a while, my focus is entirely on fighting against the poison. During the entire process Freya has never even once left my mind. She kept our bond open and she was providing me the energy to fight. We were both fighting this battle even if she doesn't realise it right now.

More time passes, the pain has lessened but it's still very present. I try moving my body again but with no success. I was still paralysed. I focus on my hearing, at first I hear nothing, everything was quiet. I expand my hearing further and then sound hits me, I hear people talking, the wheels on a food cart passing by, the beeping of machines. I was in the hospital.

But I couldn't hear Freya anywhere. Where is she? Why isn't she here? Did something happen? I start panicking a little bit, the thought of her being hurt and me not being there to protect her. But then I feel the most wonderful sparks in my hand. Only one person in the entire world could make feel those sparks. She is here. My love is here.

I hear a machine next to me starting to beep louder and then I finally hear her voice "Shhh baby" I heard her say. I am so glad she is here by my side, safe and unharmed. I feel her fingers running through my hair and I immediately relax waiting to feel more of her touch "I'm here." she keeps on saying "I'm here and I swear I won't leave your side until you open those beautiful blue eyes for me okay?" I wanted to answer her. I wanted to be able to tell her I could hear her and that I was doing everything in my power to come back to her. I wanted to tell her I loved her and hold her in my arms. I knew she was hurting she said so now and just like she promised she never left my side. Even as I heard pack mates come by and leave I could always feel her holding me, both physically and mentally.