Chapter 25

"I'M PREGNANT!" I scream loudly

I wait to feel the sting of the knife on my body but I never get to feel it. I open my eyes, I had shut them down in instinct but now I opened them to see a conflicted Lyanna looking down at me, the knife just inches away from my heart.

I'm not ashamed to confess I was sobbing a little bit. This is my children's lives we are talking about and mine after all.

"Please..." I continue. Right now I'll say anything to keep her from harming my babies. "You had a daughter once and a mate, I have those too. A mate who must be going crazy looking for me and two unborn children in my womb who I wish to hold in my arms more than anything...Are you really so cruel as to do the same to me what was done to you?"

"No... Shut up!" she yells at me looking conflicted. She was hesitant now, I just had to convince her that she didn't have to do this.

"Please...think of Alyna and Henrik, they wouldn't have want for you to do this"

"Don't you dare talk about them!" she yells at me "Don't you understand? I am nothing without them! Just an empty shell of what I used to be..."

"No..." I refuse to believe that, tears were still falling down my face "I refuse to believe that"

"Then you're a fool." she tells me "You have no idea what it feels like to lose them. When they died I begged and begged to be killed too but my punishment was worse, and now...I can't even remember the face of my own daughter...I try and try but I can't...and that breaks my heart. Why can I not remember the face of my own daughter?"

She sounded like a broken woman. Which I guess she was.

"You'll see them again" I say "In the afterlife you will be reunited with your loved ones."

"That's an old fairy tale story Freya" she says "There is no afterlife, once I die, I'll be a pile of bones on the ground and be forgotten."

"You're wrong" Now that I think about it, whoever heard this conversation would think that I am trying to convince her to take her own life, but I was trying to do the exact opposite, I wanted her to have hope that they would see each other again and live the rest of her life in peace of that knowledge.

Suddenly we hear shouts and roars from upstairs. Even though my link with Mason was still numb, I could tell he was upstairs. I look at Lyanna in desperation.

"If you let me go, I won't let no harm be done to you." I try to convince her for both our sakes.

She just smiles at me.

"There is nothing left for me in this world child. It is time for me to face my future, let us just hope you are right" she says but I'm confused with her words. Right? Right about what? I soon got my answer when she slits her throat right in front of me.

"NO!" I yell than the door is thrown open with a loud bang and a large brown wolf, I immediately recognise, advances trough me.

"Mason?" I call him

He transforms and a few seconds later I have him fully human right in front of me. He looks relieved to see me alive and he rushes to unleash the ropes tying me down.

"Careful! They've been bathed in wolf bane" I warn him

He flinches as he touches them. He looks around and finds the knife Lyanna used to slit her own throat. I could see her still breathing, barely, she hadn't cut that deeply but the blood loss was evident and it could kill her if not stopped right away.

"Hurry" I tell him and he does a quick work in removing all the rope tying me down. I hug him tight feeling the need to have him by my side more than ever, especially after Lyanna told me her story.