Chapter 2

Warnings: Little bit sad, but other than that none

     ~Preston's P.O.V.~

"So... How did you end up in the Rouge kingdom anyway?" Rob, as he called himself, asks.

My eyes travel downcast, and I kick at a pebble, watching bounce a few meters ahead as I fight back the tears. Rob seems to notice, and his eyes widen, holding up his hands.

"You don't have to tell me!" He assures.
"No... It's okay. You asked..." I sigh, wiping away the single tear that escaped. "It happened when I was eight... Over a decade ago. My parents we're two of the generals in our army... And if our ruler died one of them would become the King or Queen. So when the Rouge kingdom came... They broke into our home. My father... He... H-he sacrificed himself for my Mom and I. But even still they kidnaped me... Because my mom was still alive. The rouge kingdom... They took me hostage to bargain with my mom. They wanted to kill all our generals... And to finish off my mom, they took me to lure her to them. It worked... They said they'd let me go if she turned herself in... And she did. But they didn't let me go... They kicked me out into the streets to die. I survived by staying in the shadows and learning to pickpocket for food and money. The rouges constantly beat me up, trying to kill me. They shunned me. And they wouldn't let me leave. That's when you came..." I finish, fresh hot tears spilling down my face as I remember the gruesome sight of my parents being killed.
"Dang dude... That's rough..." Rob mumbles sympathetically, patting my back.
I nod. "When they kicked me into the streets... That's when I knew I didn't want to fight any more, and I wanted to stop the war. I hated the rouge kingdom... And I still do. But I almost died of depression in the first year or so after my mom died. And I realized... Hundreds of people were being killed each day. And each person that died could have been a mother, father, brother, sister, or loved one. And that they meant just as much to someone as my parents meant to me..." I sniffle, wiping the tears away with my dusty hoodie.

Rob falls silent after that, letting the new information sink in. I dip my head down, walking just as silently beside him. It's only been a few hours since we escaped the Rouge kingdom, and now we're trekking through a spruce forest. We don't knew where we're going, or even what to do next. Rob healed my arm for me, and gave me some food. He only has his iron sword as a weapon, so once we got a safe distance away from the kingdom he chopped down a tree and crafted me a stone sword. He also shed his armour and shield. I was surprised to see he was a lot skinnier than what he looked like with armour on. Like not skinny skinny, but just kinda lean healthy skinny. He has tawny brown hair, and rich brown eyes. Also a blue hoodie, with a white undershirt peeking out from underneath, and black pants.

Just then Rob seems to perk up. He meets my gaze with hopeful eyes.

"Preston... Did you have any friends in the Rouge kingdom?"
I stare at him blankly. "I had a few... But my best friends was named Jerome. He's a bacca."
"Jerome... He wouldn't happen to also hate the war... Would he?" Rob tires.
My eyes widen as I catch on to what he's implying. "He did actually! I remember him saying how much he hated it, and how he would never participate in it! But..." I continue, my tone dropping. "We're not really friends anymore... But we're not enemies either. We're just... Stranger with some memories. Jerome... I've seen him a few times when the Mutant kingdom attacked the rouge kingdom. He'd see me. He wouldn't attack me, but he wouldn't greet me either. He'd just spare me a quick glance before killing another person. He's different now, the Jerome I knew didn't want to kill. Now it looks like it's all he knows... And he's really good too. He's in the highest fleet of their army."
"I'm sorry to hear that... But at least we have a starting point now. Maybe... Somehow we can get him on our side again. Do you know where me might find him?"
I furrow my brow and concentrate hard. "I don't know if he'll still go there but... When we were little we always went to this little pond in a jungle, just East of the kingdom. We'd go there to talk about problems or stuff... And whenever Jerome was sad I would always find him sitting at the waters edge. It was kinda like our getaway place."
     "Then that's where we'll go next." Rob decides, pulling out a piece of bread and stuffing it in his mouth.

As we continue to walk, Rob chewing slowly on his bread, I take time to admire the scenery surrounding me. It's been just over fourteen years now since I was taken away, and this is the very first time I've seen something other than the dusty streets and random patch of grass here and there. The stress and reality of finally getting to see the outside world again had clouded my thoughts, and I'm just realizing now that I've actually gotten here alive, with barley a scratch. The trees are more beautiful than I ever remember, strong brown trunks supporting heads of full healthy leaves. The grass under my feet it lush and a rich green, opposed to the nearly brown dried out grass back in the rouge kingdom. There are flowers growing here and there, and cute little animals resting under the shade of the trees. It's calming, beautiful, and everything I had hoped it'd be.

     After an hour or two of walking in calming silence, the sun finally begins to duo past the tree line, the sky darkening ever so slowly.

     "We should bed down for the night, we still have a loooongg way to go before we reach the Mutant kingdom." Rob states tiredly, yawning in the process.

     I nod in agreement, so we stop and starts punching at the dirt, silently deciding that a simple dirt hut will do for the night. As we scratch away at the dirt, my eyes flicker over to Rob. The walk had for some reason bonded us... At least I thought so. Although I can't really explain it... I feel like it has something to do with a Rouge and a Spell citizen working together peacefully, with the same goal in mind. It's an odd sensation really, but I'm definitely not complaining. For a spell troop, Rob is pretty nice.

     Before long we've collected enough dirt to create a small hut, with just enough space inside for it not to be too cramped. Rob places the very last block of dirt in the wall, closing us in just as the very first mob spawns off in the distance. My skin provides the perfect light to let us see each other and our surroundings, yet still low enough to fall asleep in. So taking opposite walls, Rob and I curl up against the dirt. I eat a small meal of bread and cooked fish to calm my growling stomach, and then my eyelids begin to droop.

     "Night, Robbie." I mumble, not really understanding why I used the nickname, but using none the less.
     "Goodnight." He whispers in return.

     And then sleep swoops in, and carries me off to dream land.

~~~

Question of the Chapter:

The fluffy will meet the Poofless duo in a chapter or two! How do you think Jerome will react to Preston, his old best friend? What about Rob? After all... He is Jerome's sworn enemy.

My answer: 🤐